New experience....

adichristiNovember 13, 2004

Our DD is taking that adventure (to the apartment world) what are some creative ways to cover the windows without costing a fortune!

Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunrochy

Sazzy bed sheets are to go if the windows are large enough for twin sized (use them as ceiling to floor curtains). Cheap ones can be found at dollar stores, Target, Kmart, flea markets, yard sales, etc. Get interesting poles at flea markets, Home Depot, or Lowes and have them cut to size. Hang the poles on curtain hanger hardwares. Then fold the top part of sheets over and sew them, put the pole through the folded parts. Or sew on ribbons and tie them on the poles. One can pull the sheets aside and tie them back. Also fabric can be bought from fabric store and hemmed with hemming tape (ironed).

Bookmark   November 14, 2004 at 11:38AM
cmlawrence

I personally like the paper, temporary blinds you can get at Home Depot and other places. They are literally paper, folded up accordian style to sort of resemble blinds or roman shades. You cut them to size, and they stick to the top of the window.

They look suprisingly good unless you really get close. They don't keep out alot of light however. And they are dirt cheap. Probably $5 per window. Check 'em out.

C

Bookmark   November 16, 2004 at 1:03AM
adichristi

Thanks SunRochy and cmlawrence...

cmlawrence, Do the paper ones provide privacy? That's what I am looking for. Thanks again...

Bookmark   November 17, 2004 at 7:16PM
lazy_gardens

The paper ones are like frosted glass: let in light, but you can't see through them.

Bookmark   November 20, 2004 at 12:46PM
adichristi

lazygardens, Thanks...

Bookmark   November 24, 2004 at 11:37PM
bonelady

Bamboo shades are inexpensive and good looking.

Bookmark   November 30, 2004 at 4:01PM
gammyt

Sheets are great, come in so many colors and if you have access to a sewing machine they can easily be hemmed with a straight stitch. If you want tie backs buy a yard of ribbon and put a cup hook in the wall.

Being a guy, drapes might not interest him. After 14 years in the same apartment we finally saved enough to buy a house last year. Of course we had no money left after buying appliances and such. Wallmart, Kmart and Target all sell white or beige vinyl mini blinds for next to nothing. We have standard size windows and I paid $3.99 per window and no one knows the difference. The quality of your mini blinds is just not what people inspect when they come over. ;)

Bookmark   December 7, 2004 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Lawn Mowers/Leaf Blowers
I rent the top floor of a two-family home in a nice...
lynwell42
music instrument playing?
I'm wondering whether or not to be worried about disturbing...
outofideas009
Noisy neighbor - am I being oversensitive?
Live in a townhouse next to people with two small kids...
hblotus95
3 mentally ill roommates and a baby, what to do?
I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment with 2 other...
valiumplz
Noise disputes: can managers forbid tenants from conversing?
I'm having random noise problems with a downstairs...
Jck507
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™