Cheap insulation for apartment

emilyjjNovember 7, 2006

Hi,

I live in a relatively quiet apartment building with lots of older people. The problem is that there is basically NO insulation between the floors and we live on the third floor. We can hear *everything* when the woman walks around above us. It is bad enough during regular hours, but she doesn't go to sleep until after midnight and gets up early. I can't sleep until she is quiet -- It is THAT loud. Our landlords are awful; Otherwise I would suggest that they add insulation. Does anyone have any suggestions about a particularly good carpet that we could ask her to buy (or buy for her) or mat? Also I was thinking about trying to insulate the ceiling with ceiling-insulating tiles. professionally installed, they would be very expensive. Does anyone have suggestions of products or solutions? I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Unfortunately, there are no easy solutions for this sort of thing. The tiles would only help a small amount...if at all, and if you could get the landlord's permission. And carpeting her apartment sounds pretty expensive. Short of moving, the only cheap solution I can think of is ear plugs.

Bookmark   November 15, 2006 at 5:43AM
fredwolf

Insulation won't help. If you're that sensitive to noise, you're better off moving into your own home.

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 6:04PM
constructionfanatic4_yahoo_com

Ive been an apartment dweller for 15yrs and every time ive done my own construction ive ordered my supplies from McGraw-Hill.. They have very competitive prices, quick shipping, and great customer service.. I wouldn't shop at any other supplier.. check it out!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: McGraw-Hill

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
Finding apartment in Cary NC?
Hi, I am a single mom of two moving into Cary NC area...
aaaaaaaa
Quiet Hours???? HELP!
What exactly constitutes being quiet during quiet hours? This...
MaryCR
Apartment Owners from H**L
We live in the east in a gated apartment complex owned...
pink_warm_mama_1
Appliance Size for garage apartment
building an apartment over a garage. apt size is 500...
cobbyw
Does anyone actually like living in an apartment?
In addition to the noise I've just posted about, another...
alllen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™