hall chair

bungalow975April 9, 2012

About ten years ago, a local antiques dealer/auctioneer appraised some of my mother's things. I am curious as to the accuracy his appraisal of a hall chair. He wrote: "English Georgian era side chair, mahogany, shaped back with corner rosettes, shaped seat, tapering reeded front legs, back with raised shield painted with Irish royal coat-of-arms, ca. 1830-1840, $450." Does this sound correct with respect to age and value? Does anyone know anything else about this type of chair and/or the coat-of-arms? I can't quite make out the word on the banner, but there appears to be an "S" below it. Would that be an individual family's coat-of-arms?

[img][\img]

[img][\img]

[img][\img]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

It's not the "Irish Royal coat of Arms", it is the coat of arms of the United Kingdom. It was adopted in 1837, which sets a limit on age of chair.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_coat_of_arms_of_the_United_Kingdom for an example

That style is often called a "hall chair" or "reception chair"

http://www.chairblog.eu/2008/08/04/a-pair-of-early-victorian-mahogany-hall-chairs/ has similarities in the legs.

the period seems to be correctly identified, but the value will have changed.

Where did your mother get the chair? If it has a solid "provenance" (history of who owned it and where it has been) it's worth more.

If you can get a better closeup of the arms, I might be able to narrow the possible sources of the chair for you. There are differences in the details depending on who is using them.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 4:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

As Victoria came to the throne in 1837 (changing the Royal Coat of Arms to remove the Hanoverian escutcheon, to which as a female she was not entitled), anything after 1837 would be Early Victorian, not Georgian.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 12:04AM
More Discussions
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
Help Identifying Cushman Furniture
I have a small Cushman cabinet, it appears that it...
cpannetti
What is this?
Picked up at a thrift store. Any ideas?
CathyChex
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™