Moving a support column

bosun2July 11, 2007

Hi--we are planning to make our basement a bit more liveable. I'm interested in moving a cloumn in the center of the roow. I realize that this would require a beam of sorts, I assume steel or laminated wood, and two beefy supports on either side. What am I missing? Do I need to bust the floor and put in footings below the new support posts?

Who does this sort of work? We are not hiring a GC for the project. What sort of tradesperson do I call?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This job may or may not be bigger than it seems.

You definitely need to break the concrete, excavate to undisturbed soil for new pads, criss cross them with #6 rebar and place the concrete; then put a steel beam across the columns, best to be welded in place.

Provide for adequate temporary support before you remove the column!

For sizing and pad specs, I would suggest a professional engineer would be ideal; your local building department might also be able to properly advise you. Typically, you would need a permit, as this is structural work.

If I didn't do it myself, I'd probably get a labourer for the digging; a carpenter/handy guy for framing the pads, locating the posts and beam and mixing and placing the concrete; and a welder.

The unforseen: you hit a sewage line in your floor, meaning you have to relocate the pad(s), or an immovable boulder or bedrock, requiring a rethink of the support. If you're doing this in a well-built newer home it may be quite a demo job breaking high mpa concrete--up to 5" thick and cutting any underlying mesh and removing 4-6" of gravel.

    Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 10:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"We are not hiring a GC for the project. What sort of tradesperson do I call?"

You need a GC.
You are also likely to need an engineer to approve the changes.
A beam to support another beam (what I think you are describing) will also need an engineers stamp.

    Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 12:06PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™