Religious art print i.d.

peachydevaApril 4, 2013

Can anyone identify who this is? I'm assuming a saint but I have no clue who. We found it in our church basement during Spring cleanup. Appreciate any comments.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Picture of Jesus - and I'd say from His teaching in the temple at age 12. That tunic treatment shows up in renditions by other artists.

I have studied and do have a real fondness for religious art; good religious art. But this is a bit saccharine, a bit too "candy box"... perhaps why it was relegated to the basement?

Please don't think I'm being snobby about your find.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:35PM
calliope

Yes, somebody used Heinrich Hofmann's Christ in the Temple to pattern this after. It doesn't appear to be exact enough to be a print off the original.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christ in the Temple

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:55PM
bungalow975

The pose and tunic are very similar to the print in the link below, but the two are quite different stylistically.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/13352167_framed-young-jesus-print

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:59PM
peachydeva

Yes, the same pose as Hofmann's Christ, but much more stylized... the eyes are wild and the mouth twisted... could it be an attempt at Mannerism? I'll look at it more closely tomorrow when I'm at church. It's been in the basement for 45 years... I see why. Thank you everyone for your comments.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Antimassacars and tablecloth
I found a cache of embroidered and lace furniture accessories...
debodun
Walnut Art Nouvaux Sideboard Advice Needed
Howdy, First post from a long-time lurker. We purchased...
markwingalls
Not sure what it is
Would like to restore this piece. Not sure of the age...
Hanna
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™