Anyone finished a basement in an OLD house?

meredith77July 23, 2007

hi! lots of great info on this site and some beautiful results, but it seems that most of the basement projects (or at least the ones I've seen) are in newer homes. Has anyone finished off a basement in an old house? I'm contemplating doing mine. my house is quite old (1917) but has no evidence of leaking/water infiltration, and I'd have enough headroom, depending on the ceiling finish. i have enough know-how to get it figured out, but i wonder if the results will be as great as what i'm hoping for given some of the obstacles a 90-year old basement presents.

i guess i'm just wondering how people have worked around the difficulties of an older basement - uneven floors, walls with a slight bow (not structually unsound, just "settled")less head room, etc. Anyone have photos they'd care to share? I'd like to see the level of "finish" attainable...maybe it will inspire me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Before I switched to building new, I renoed lots of basements in Century homes and newer. But, sorry, no pics!

The process is really the same as in a newer home. Assuming there is no water problem, the biggest issue was headroom and low quality concrete floors--little gravel and concrete, no rebar and a hundred years of earthquake quivers. In certain areas, you should provide for radon abatement as well.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™