Adding window wells

samantha_okJuly 13, 2006

I am remodeling our basement where my 11 yr son will sleep. For ingress the window wells need to be enlarged. Has anyone ever added larger window wells and did they leak or have problems? I have small wells at this time that my son could egress through and am concerned about making my dry basement wet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chris8796

If you take some precautions, its usually not a problem. If you have a tile drainage system for the foundation, connect the egress well to it. You can do this by just digging hole down to it and refill with gravel. In new construction they typically tee off the pipe and run a small drain. If no system exists, at least slope the bottom away from the house with a small gravel resevoir on the end.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 7:23AM
schreibdave

I read somewhere that the window size codes were set so as to enable a fire fighter with airpack to pass through the window.

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 11:16PM
scrappy25

I put this in another post, byut we LOVE our scapewell window well. Our contractor would not put it in unless we bought the cover also. Even when it pours, no water gets in. The cover actually is a good thing since our neighbor's can't look directly into our basement from their deck, but it still lets all the light through. You just have to clean the cover seasonally.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™