Chinese Wedding Bed- ID of Immortals/Age

talesofthesevenseasApril 6, 2009

I have a Chinese wedding bed that I would like to know the age of and also to understand more about the carvings on it. The bed is slightly larger than queen size:

Here is the whole bed:

Here is an upclose of the dragons on the lower front, below the entrance where you get in. As I understand it, a three-toe dragon and one that is stylized like this one (lack of detailing in scales, abstract form) indicates that this bed did NOT belong to a noble or royal family. The dragons represent the groom and a matched pair are featured promiently on the bed:

Here are the carvings along the top of the bed. I believe these represent different Immortals and I would like to know who they are:

I have been told the animal is a Qilin, or mythical animal that is a deer-like dragon, although mine seems to look horse-like in many ways, it does seem to have horns on it's head that are hard to see in the photo:

This carving includes a peach tree in the background, which I know represents longevity:

These carvings are a pair are along the side of the entrance. There are stylized phoenix birds in the four corners representing the bride. Like the dragon they are very abstract which I understand indicates a non-royal, non-noble family, and the seed pod flower above the Immortals is for fertility. These appear around the rails of the bed.

From top to bottom- Stylized phoenix (bride), seeded flower (fertility), and cloud motif. These are in pairs along the sides of the entrance:

Flowers along the rails (fertility)

I look forward to any and all feedback! Thanks!

-Claire

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bodiCA

What a Fabulous Bed! Exactly what I have always wanted, Lucky You! That one is a Beauty! Hope someone will have answers to your questions, I'd love to understand more about Chinese symbolism also.

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 1:04AM
wintersetgalleries_yahoo_com

we have a pair of wedding bedposts and we were told they are rare and worth about $2000 for the pair.
they represent a village. do you know anything about these. we can send a pic. diane

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 4:29PM
lazy_gardens

Oh my! Enough fertility symbols that I got preggers just looking at the pictures :)

Here's a link to the immortals, with pics:
http://www.asianartmall.com/8immortalsarticle.htm

And Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Immortals

That is a FABULOUS bed. My guess is that it was used by a merchant family, one well off but not filthy rich (the really wealthy marriage beds have carved jade panels, and are far more elaborate), or a low-level official.

Not all the immortals are suitable for marital inspiration - I think many of the figures are of female attendants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Immortals

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
What is this?
Picked up at a thrift store. Any ideas?
CathyChex
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
imaztribabe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™