Basement Storage

parkplazaJuly 19, 2009

I have some nooks that I am framing in to cover pipes. Do they say actual cabinet doors seperate...something cheap like the white particle board stuff you get a box store. I want to make some hidden shelves in the spaces, but am trying to avoid a homemade look such as paneling doors, plywood, etc. Something that makes it look like a professional built in. And do not need the entire cabinet...just the door to attach the hinges to the frame out I am doing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

I'm with you about not having important spaces look like afterthoughts. I finished our basement and have attempted to utilize all of the space.

Photos can be viewed from the link below and many have comments. Here are some of the items I used to hide necessary features yet make the space useful:
A wine rack which, when removed, permits service to an exhaust fan.
French Doors - one set for a storage room, another to disguise a laundry tub sink and permit access to storage below the stairs.
The right side of the fireplace opens via a piano hinge attached to the wall. The corner trim is attached to the door and runs floor to ceiling. A full width shelf inside permits storage of long items and framed art.
A flush door enclosing the electrical panel is deep enough to store folding tables.
A bookcase on casters rolls forward to service the furnace.

The photos include a floor plan which I believe is the critical element for a build-out. Hope some ideas work for you. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Photos

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 4:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Yes, they do sell doors separately, and you can have them made to the size and style you need. You probably have a local woodworker supplier that does this. Or try Rockler.com.

Trying the local route is probably better for getting all your questions answered.

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
making the crawl space more useful?
My house has a (vented) crawl space between 2 and 3'...
gigelus2k13
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™