How long for water to seep through clay?

behaviorkeltonJuly 22, 2006

This is a similar question to another post I made earlier. It has finally started raining here (Tennessee) after a long drought.

I bought this house during this dry time, so I was not able to see if my attempts at redirecting water away from the house were successful. I did notice an obvious water seepage stain in one part of the basement (below a gutter downspout).

So I have now dug up a patio which allowed me to fix the gutter issue.

Now that it has rained, how long do I have to wait before I can be relatively sure that I have solved the problem. I have heard that it can take a long time for the water to make it's trip down into the basement.... so, days?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
formulaross

Clay? After a rain here, I get puddles in my clay yard (house under construction) that never soak in!

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 9:15AM
brickeyee

Clay is used to create a barier that water will not penetrate.
If you have more than 6 inches or so of solid clay the only penetration wil be if their are cracks in the clay from settling.

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 9:51AM
behaviorkelton

That's good to know. I have been digging in areas that are heavy clay and bringing that toward the sides of the house and packing it down with one of those heavy square tamping things.

I think I have the problem licked, I just had heard that water sometimes takes a while to show up in the basement.

Still, I'm waiting for some good steady rain so I can can go out in the yard and watch how things flow and then, later, see if the basement remains dry.

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™