Fresh poured basement floor - how to finish?

andyinbostonJuly 30, 2010

We had our old basement floor dug out. Had a perimeter drain & sump pump installed, 2" of XPS, 6 mil poly, and about 4" of concrete for the new slab. Also did 1" of XPS around the perimeter for a thermal break.

I'd like to hear people's opinions on how to finish the floor. Options we're currently considering are polished concrete, epoxy finish, or tile. I'm leaning toward a polished floor because it seems more permanent. Anyone know how long the polished finish lasts? How long can one expect an epoxy finish to last?

We are currently not planning to finish the basement. But I am going to have the walls and sill insulated with closed cell spray foam and probably have the rough framing put up.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

But I am going to have the walls and sill insulated with closed cell spray foam and probably have the rough framing put up.

Good choice!

But even if no inspection is necessary if this is a no-permit job, I would cover that foam asap. Covering is Code. In a new home I built, a plumber accidentally lit a tiny bit of the ccspf and sent everyone in the home fleeing the acrid fumes.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™