Damp Basement Questions

duruttiJuly 17, 2009

My wife and I purchased our first home a couple of months ago. It is a 1950s Cape Cod located in the hills of western MA. The main issue we are dealing with is the damp basement. This is due mainly to two issues. First, the previous owners had the gutter water dump right at the foundation. To fix that I am installing an underground drainage system to take all that water to the storm drain.

Second is the condition of the basement concrete floor. There are a number of cracks, and the previous owners seemed to have dug up small portions of the concrete floor. This leads to capillary dampness around the cracks.

My question then is whether I can fix the capillary dampness by repairing the cracks with new cement (perhaps special cement is waterproof?), or whether the only way to really fix this is to pour a new floor entirely? TIA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgmarie

Exactly why did the previous owners dig up small portions of the concrete floor??? Were they burying something (someone)??

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 12:40AM
durutti

LOL... I have no idea. Some of it makes sense (at some point they decided to put the oil line to the furance in the cement), put most doesn't. Just trying to find out if using a patch cement would be a good idea, or should the entire floor be recemented. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 1:58PM
jarofstars31

I considered the same thing in my basement to cover up asbestos tiles, but was told that the cement or concrete drying would create major problems for any wood surfaces nearby including the hardwood floors above.

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 8:11AM
durutti

Intersting. We do have hardwood floors on the first floor. I guess I will stick with just regular cement then. Thanks for the input.

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
water in unfinished basement
Well its in the 50s here in NJ and the snow is melting....
hoganjr
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Sponsored Products
Cooper Dining Chairs Set of 2 in Walnut
$579.00 | LexMod
Set of Two Match White Vinyl Chairs
Euro Style Lighting
freshâ„¢ Odor Eliminator
$24.50 | FRONTGATE
Monarch Specialties 8085GY Bonded Leather Swivel Glider Recliner in Charcoal Gra
Beyond Stores
Shenandoah Fireplace Mantel Shelf
Signature Hardware
Warehouse Black 16-Inch Outdoor Wall Light
$202.95 | Bellacor
Sonneman | Chelsea 1 Light Bath Bar
$180.00 | YLighting
Tripod Floor Lamp
Design Within Reach
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™