Basement floor

mbucco2006July 20, 2006

I just moved into a new home (15years old. I saw on HGTV someone stain a concrete floor on a patio. I thought of staining my basement floor. The floor is free from cracks,and has a few paint spots. I was wondering would it be a good idea to use a floor polishing machine with a screen to clean the floor and possibly make the floor a little more porus. My question is this a good idea and has anyone done this before and have some suggestions. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravlegend

Staining my concrete floor was 1 of my first option but I discard the idea right away after these cons:

-costed min. $4/sf to do it right
-cold to the touch - would liked a floor I can walk on barefeet
-stained concrete is well... concrete. Still need something on top liked a throw on rug or so.
-IMO NOT suitable for children

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 3:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neesie

Bumping up an old post as I am researching stained concrete.

As the previous poster mentioned "cold to the touch"....I am considering radiant heating for stained concrete. I recently saw a relatives floor that were done this way and they were TO DIE FOR!

Yes, they would call for a few throw rugs here and there. Personally, I like that for a decorative touch. Also much easier to wash a throw rug or discard rather than the wall to wall carpeting I've been dealing with.

In his/her opinion: not suitable for children. Tee hee, I am almost an empty nester. TG I don't have to make every decision around children anymore! My own kids grew up in a house with a cement basement and they turned out fine.

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™