Poured walls vs. block walls for basement

fedudeJune 2, 2008

I'm building a new house and my builder typically uses block walls. One of the options he offered us was to have poured concrete walls (for slightly more).

Does anyone have any opinions on poured concrete walls vs. cinder block walls for basements? House is a ranch house in upstate NY where most of the houses have block walls.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

For me, Superior Walls would be first choice, poured as second and block as #3. I have Superior Walls and would readily choose them again.

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 6:18PM
fedude

The decision is between 8" poured wall vs. 12" block wall. My builder says the poured wall is stronger.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 5:35AM
worthy

I've built with both, but lately only poured, as blocklayers are few and far between. (The home I'm in now combines poured and block construction.) Block walls have far greater compressive strength than poured walls, but have less lateral strength.

The biggest negative to block walls used to be waterproofing. But using a Delta type membrane or other exterior waterproofing eliminates that differential. There are a host of technical/workmanship matters with both types of walls that are the builder's responsibility to monitor.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™