Tapcon..about ready to jump out of a window

bcrawfo2June 20, 2007

I'm using Tapcon to take up the bounce in my subfloor (over Delta-FL...see other post). The Delta-FL instructions call for 1/4" tapcon. If I do those, the heads are so big that I can't countersink it into the wood subfloor. I wonder if I'm not getting the whole cleaned out enough. Do you blow the hole out (not sure I could suck out thru the plywood and delta-fl)?

I tried 3/16" screw with smaller heads, but these break almost every hole as I'm just about at the end of tightening.

Any hints?

Thanks

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Yes, you have to get the dust out any way you can. Might try blowing it out with a small straw, coffee stirrer or the "canned air" for computers.

You could also use a countersink bit to make more room for the heads, but maybe you can get away without that. A large bit works, too - just drill it a little to the depth/width you need.

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 7:35AM
homebound

After the dust is out, use a larger drill or hammerdrill to screw in the tapcons.

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 7:39AM
bcrawfo2

OK...I'm making progress, but still pretty frustrated.
I'll recap about my surfaces (from top to bottom).
3/4 OSB
Delta FL
Old linoleum tile (the brittle kind)
Concrete

I moved to a corded hammer drill (cheap-rented, it's not a rotary hammer drill). I have Bosch Blue Granite drill bits. This combination worked well, but I went thru bits very quickly (2-3 holes per bit). I was able to get 1/4 tapcons in the hole and countersunk into the OSB if I blow out the hole with my compressor.
So, I looked at the Blue Granite bit packaging and notice it's for "granite, stone, tile, etc". I look at Lowes and see they have a Bosch SDS-Plus bit that specifically says "For concrete". I believe these are really made for a rotary hammer drill because of the "mount". I try these and I get NOWHERE. I don't think I even got a full hole from one of these bits.
Do I need to use a rotary hammer drill with these bits? Will that work considerably better? Is there a chance that I'm just skimming on top of the linoleum tile with these new bits?

Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Scott

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 9:00PM
worthy

I wouldn't use the same bit for going through the OSB etc. as going into the concrete. It shouldn't be necessary to use a rotary hammer drill for tapcons.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 9:33PM
lazypup

"I have Bosch Blue Granite drill bits."

I think you will find that is the problem..If you will get the appropriate "Tapcon" drill bits you will most likely solve your problem.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 10:40PM
bcrawfo2

I went and rented a Hilti rotary hammer-drill with a carbide bit. Each hole (3+ inchesfor a 1/4" tapcon) was done in 10 seconds. Did about 50 holes, my subfloor is tight now.
Best $46 I ever spent. The rental even included the bit.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™