I'm ready to put down T & G OSB over my Platon membrane and now I have a variety of questions having to do with Tapcon screws.
1. I understand screw length is determined by thickness of materials (Platon 1/4", OSB 3/4")+ 1" to 1-1/4" depth into concrete, therefore a 2" to 2 1/4" screw. The hole should be drilled 1/4" deeper than the 1" or 1-1/4" embedded screw and vacuumed out. The drill bit should be 1/16" greater than the screw diameter. Do I basically have it?
2. What diameter Tapcon would be sufficient? 3/16 1.4"?
3. Is any flush Tapcon head type more durable than another?
4. I have read some stuff on the Net by people who say Tapcons are a pain to use. Platon recommends a screw in a 2' grid pattern...a lot of screws per sheet. That could be a lot of pain and time. (I don't want to use the Hilti/Remmington type guns because I have read they tend to cause breakage.) How long SHOULD it take to process one Tapcon?
5. Any recommendation on a good hammer drill that doesn't break the bank? I have a feeling buying may be better than renting for this project.