mold in basement: drainage system too close to drywall

slrappJune 25, 2007

We have mold and/or mildew in our finished basement. One contractor said this is because the drywall that was installed after we put in a perimeter drainage system was placed too close to the drains. The drainage system works well, and, as a result usually has some water in it. Between the water itself and the increase in relative humidity between the drywall and the cinder block of the foundation, mildew has an ideal environment in which to grow. The contractor said he could retrofit the basement system drain with a humidity extraction system. This will create negative air pressure within drainage system and will exhaust humidity to the exterior of the house. DOES THIS SOUND PLAUSIBLE TO ANYONE? It kind of makes sense to me, but I don't know how a humidity extraction system would actually work. Anyone ever hear of that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

What does the "humidity extraction system" consist of? On the face of it, it doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

If your drainage system worked well, it wouldn't have water in it. It would be drained away to a sump or whereever it was supposed to go.

I expect you have a dehumidfier going 24/7 to keep humidity levels below 50% and you keep the basement windows closed in the summer. That's the best humidity extraction system I can think of.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™