Evil Odor

tazprncessOctober 27, 2005

I live on the 2nd floor of a 3 floor co-op. Periodically (and twice in the last 2 weeks) there is a vile, "low tide" smell that eminates from my bathroom area. My bathroom is cleaned once a week, as it has been since I moved in a year and a half ago. I have only experienced this 3 times, 2 of which were very recent.

Not to be gross, but I literally smelled every surface, but can't find from where it is coming. Could it be a leak in the walls or ceiling? From the fan vent? Any suggestions? I am going to call my super, but I don't know if it is from me or elsewhere. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonshine22

could it be coming from the drains of your sink and tub? I live in a high rise in nyc and I have also experienced an "evil odor" which I localized to the drains. It is indeed evil and beyond the realm of any smell that any of the organisms in my household could possibly emit. I found that running water in both usually tamped it back down. But I don't know why it happens. The only pattern to it is that I notice it upon coming home (when no one has been around to run water in the bathroom for a while). It has happened at such infrequent intervals over the three years I've lived here that I haven't complained about it yet. Curious to know if you figure out what it is, but maybe in the meantime, you could try running the water for a temporary fix.

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 8:34PM
liz2

There are several possibilities, some of which are:
1) Seal ring around toilet is going and needs to be replaced.
2) Traps are drying out allowing vent gas to enter bathroom. Not likely unless the bathroom has not been used in a while.
3) Vent line may have a plug in it and need to be cleared. Generally done from the roof.
Good Luck on getting it solved.

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 9:42PM
lasershow

You might want to post this question over on the plumbing forum. My guess is that you've got some sewer gas backing up into your bathroom from a leak or a loose seal somewhere. I sincerely doubt you are causing this, especially since you've been cleaning and sniffing everywhere! Call the super.

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 7:57PM
TypoQueen

I'd bet on a partially clogged ventline

(the pipe that runs to the outside and vents the gases )

its a cheap fix

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Stinky perfumey air freshener neighbors
This seems to be the forum for neighbor problems -...
kashka_kat
music instrument playing?
I'm wondering whether or not to be worried about disturbing...
outofideas009
Temporary Housing
The post tell us fine information about the housing....
dayamrae138
Help with reducing noise
I live in a second floor apartment with my 5 year old...
erin277
How common are door notes for communicating with tenants?
Is it legal for an apartment manager to put paper notes...
Jck507
Sponsored Products
Frosted Bluegreen Glass Ensemble BN/Hrdwr
PLFixtures
Apawthikare Premium Pet Wellness Set
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
American Standard Toilets Champion 4 HET Right Height 2-piece 1.28 GPF
Home Depot
Conceal 6"H Mosquito Repellent Candle
$14.50 | FRONTGATE
Aqua Colored Glass Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets