Warning! Virus on Photobucket (banner?)

2ajsmamaApril 18, 2009

I was just trying to insert one of my pictures from Photobucket when my browser (Firefox) shut down and a window that looked like an application window popped up saying I was infected and needed to perform a scan. This looked suspicious so I asked DH what AV software he installed on laptop. This was not a real application window - cleverly disguised link that would have loaded an executable if I had clicked on it! Beware if this happens to you (looks like AV Doctor)! DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON IN THIS WINDOW!

I did go back to Photobucket and was able to view and insert my pics without this happening again, so most likely it was in a banner ad that ran at that particular time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

It's not a virus....it's just a way of getting you to install a big time tracking cookie on your computer.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 1:58PM
2ajsmama

It's malware disguised as an application window, which, if you click OK, will load an executable on your computer. I didn't look to see what the executable might be, but assume it's nothing good. I used the word "Virus" to get people's attention since most people think of all bad things that get loaded onto their computers as viruses, whether they're really Trojan Horses, sniffers, or some other kind of malware. Just didn't want to get too technical ;-)

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 3:53PM
stinkytufted

Most things that pop up in that type of environment are going to be harmful. If you are using Firefox I would suggest installing Adblock Plus (link below). It allows you to stop the downloading of ads on sites you are on. Those ads take a long time to display quite often, and this lets you disable them. The site below is a legit Firefox extension site (note the https).

Hope this helps better your internet usage. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: ADblock Plus 1.0.2 Add-on

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
imaztribabe
Name on artwork
I just got this photo today, have you ever hear of...
Dones
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™