Ecostud

happygirl323June 3, 2012

I've been researching products to finish my basement for a while now and have found this product called Ecostud. Is anyone familiar with this product? It won't have the mold or mildew issues like wood studs, rust issues like metal studs and appears to meet most code requirements. Which may not be the case with insofast, another product I researched.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Firestopping is required in walls. In most instances, a conventional top plate will be sufficient for horizontal blocking.

But if you're using plastic, you will have to make special provisions.

I note the website says the system is a "simple concept designed for the novice, do-it-yourself installer." Who, may we presume, may not be conversant with such Code requirements.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 7:46PM
happygirl323

Hi Worthy,

I had hoped you would respond to my post. I've gain a lot of insight from you and the building science website. I have an older house that has firestop in the rim joists. Is that sufficient? Is there a better product on the market to use instead?

Thanks again for your help.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 8:19PM
happygirl323

Hi Worthy,

I had hoped you would respond to my post. I've gain a lot of insight from you and the building science website. I have an older house that has firestop in the rim joists. Is that sufficient? Is there a better product on the market to use instead?

Thanks again for your help.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 8:20PM
worthy

See the linked diagrams for fire-blocking details in finished basements based on the 2009 IRC. Keep in mind that both horizontal and vertical fireblocking is required.

If you're OK with surface wiring, rigid foam board that uses nailing strips is a speedy way of insulating and finishing basement walls. (Dow Wallmate is one brand.)

Light-metal framing is a simple, clean way to frame basements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Details

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 11:07AM
happygirl323

Hi Worthy,

Thanks, this is very helpful. I'm renovating a poorly finished basement. I want to make sure it's done right this time.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™