Neighbour's boiler leak caused ceiling damage

baburaoOctober 12, 2006

Hi,

I live in a condo which is an 8 unit building with people next to us and above us. Few days back our upstairs neighbour's boiler leaked and we had lot of water leaking from the ceiling of our kitchen and damaged part of our ceiling. The neighbour got their boiler fixed and the leak stopped. They were very nice to accept their responsibility and made an insurance claim. The problem is that their insurance is offering us only $500 whereas the work to fix the ceiling would cost more than $2000 as appraised by an appraiser. We don't have insurance and are now in a fix as to what needs to be done. If we proceed legally can we get them to pay the remaining amount? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Tell their insurance that they are expected to pay for FULL repairs. The other guy's bouiler is NOT your responsibility.

Get estimates from licensed, bonded repair companies and send them to the insurance companies. Tell them that they will pay for the repairs or they will pay for the repairs AND the cost of suing them to get the full amount.

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 4:28PM
baburao

Hi,
I live in a condo which is an 8 unit building with people next to us and above us. Few days back our upstairs neighbour's boiler leaked and we had lot of water leaking from the ceiling of our kitchen and damaged part of our ceiling. The neighbour got their boiler fixed and the leak stopped. They were very nice to accept their responsibility and made an insurance claim. The problem is that their insurance is offering us only $500 whereas the work to fix the ceiling would cost more than $2000 as appraised by an appraiser. We don't have insurance and are now in a fix as to what needs to be done. If we proceed legally can we get them to pay the remaining amount? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 10:43AM
nfllifer

I'd tell the insurance company the estimates are around $2,000. I'd also talk to the upstairs neighbor. Ultimatly its the neighbor not the insurance company who is responsible. The neighber also might be able to get further with the insurance company than you.

Bookmark   October 15, 2006 at 10:24PM
brooksiefan

And get some insurance! Renter's insurance costs about $200 a year. As you have seen it can save you a lot of money. What if it's your boiler next time?

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
Feeling Harassed by Downstairs Neighbors
My boyfriend and I moved into an older apartment complex...
storybrook
Appliance Size for garage apartment
building an apartment over a garage. apt size is 500...
cobbyw
Running upstairs!!!!
Please someone help me...I need some advice!! At this...
Venus78k
music instrument playing?
I'm wondering whether or not to be worried about disturbing...
outofideas009
Finding apartment in Cary NC?
Hi, I am a single mom of two moving into Cary NC area...
aaaaaaaa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™