support poles in your design

kathyanddaveJune 18, 2007

My support poles are totally in the wrong spot, and moving them isn't an option, so how did you work your support poles into your design so that they blend in? Any pictures would be appreciated so much. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyanddave

Noone else with this problem?

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 2:54PM
fnmroberts

Sorry, don't have any digital photos, but in a home we once owned, the poles were right where the bar was placed. The bar was built around them. The portion of the post above the bartop was wrapped in hammered copper.

Saw something on one of the TV home improvement shows where a cabinet was positioned around the post. One side was made into a bookcase, the other held a flat-screen TV against the post and components next to it with a door access behind (beside the bookcase) to make connections.

I've seen them built into walls, squared out with lumber or tables built around them. A split column can be used to cover one. There is also an oak wrap to surround a post sold at home centers.

In our basement, the post is near the bar. We painted it like a dancers pole. Great conversation but the ceiling is too low for it to function.

Hope these will help you resolve the delima in your basement.

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 4:11PM
blue_fastback

I removed one of my poles and I think it was well wourth it. I reinforced the I beam using 2 pieces of steel channel and bolted it to the I beam so I didnt have to worry about the upstairs floor sagging. My other pole I boxed in using some 3/4 pine. my other poles I just mad sure that when I built the walls that the poles were inside of them.

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 2:16PM
lisalm

Hi. We had 2 poles to contend with, but they weren't in a bad location. We worked around them by incorporating them into a partition wall with 2 sets of pocket doors. The placement of the pocket doors was determined, in part, but the poles. We had to make sure there was enough room for the doors to "hide" without bumping the poles. Here are some pictures of early on in the construction process and after.

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 8:29PM
cearbhaill

Wrap them with sisal and make giant cat climbing trees out of 'em?
That's my plan...

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 12:17PM
pianolady

We just removed our wall exposing the support poles. We painted them satin black (oil based paint), and will be leaving the duct work exposed/decorating modern. Obviously we're not done yet, but can post a pic of finished room in a few weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 11:39PM
worthy

I've also seen the columns stripped of paint, brushed till they shine and sealed in a clear finish.

btw, any removal of columns and attempts to strengthen beams should only be done after calculations by a structural engineer or other qualified person. Mike Holmes featured a home where a column was removed and the beam "reinforced" with rebar (!) In a few months, the sag was 3/4".

Because something doesn't fall down immediately doesn't mean it's "working."

I see electrical "fixes" like that all the time. The owner/"renovator" figures there's been no fire so all is copasetic.

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 11:34PM
heri_cles

I am covering four of them with split architectural columns.

Bookmark   August 28, 2007 at 3:02AM
freedee

When we first finished our basement, our kids were little. We got creative. We made a little raised stage between two of the poles and a backstage dressing room, next to and behind one of the others. We put a crafts etc. table around an other one. We are redoing it a little now, the kids are in college. I'm just closing off the space as storage space with a curtiain now. When we get grandchildren, The stage will still be there. I remember a thread about this a while back. I would search the archives.

Bookmark   September 5, 2007 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
making the crawl space more useful?
My house has a (vented) crawl space between 2 and 3'...
gigelus2k13
Sponsored Products
Pascal 1 Wall Sconce No. 87793-4 by Eglo
$116.00 | Lumens
Signature Design by Ashley Diallo Poly Table Lamps (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
David Bromstad "Flowers in a Jar" Artwork II
Grandin Road
Porcelain Pineapple Chalice
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Custom Stained Glass Tiffany Style Table Lamps
ParrotUncle
Corner Shower Basket - 9" - Chrome
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™