Ideas on remodeling basement wall

rollcatJune 26, 2008

Our basement as you come into the house is a long hallway. The house was built back in 1969 or so. It used to have a dark paneling on the top and red carpet on the bottom part with a black chair rail between them.

My husband primmed the dark paneling then painted it a light green. We painted the doors a white color & the trim white. The floor is a dark colors of black & red. The heat registers he painted white. We are trying to decide on what would look good on the bottom part. The thought was for putting up a white wainscot with white chair rail between the light green & the white wainscot. But do you think that it would be too much white?

The other thought is putting up some pine board & painting it a darker green color than the top with a white chair rail between them.

Or putting a wood color like oak or something on the bottom.

What do you think would look the best? any ideas?

Thank You

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

I'm having difficulty grasping your space. Is it one large room or are you describing the "hallway" leading to all the rooms?

Anyway, it seems like it would be dark unless you have windows. And the white/dark colors you describe might offer too much contrast.

Personally, I believe a basement is defined by its lighting. Plenty of lights which can be dimmed to create a mood for the moment. Some like their colors neutral to make the basement part of the overall home. In ours, we used several colors to create individual areas in what could best be described as a great room. Photos are linked from "My Page" which may better describe and provide some ideas for your use. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 12:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rollcat

Thanks for the reply.
It is a long hallway that leads into the other rooms down there or leads to stairs going to the upper area. There are no windows in that area. The only light coming into the area comes from the back door as you come into the basement.

Thanks for any ideas!

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™