Spray beams before closing ceiling in basement?

mystikyJune 13, 2013

We are in the process of doing our basement (brick builiding from 1930). We demo'ed everything and now all of our new frames have been setup.

My question is this. Since the house right next to us did have some termites at some point a few years ago (after their basement got flooded), should I go and hire someone to spray my ceiling beams before we close everything up with sheetrock? 90% of the new framing is metal, with 10% wood. Should I spray the wooden ones too?

If yes, what kind of potion should I make sure that the service I hire is using.

All input is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

What type of termites/

Dry wood or wet wood?

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Eddie52

No termicide are toxic by nature and should not be used where could be contacted by you or other.

Unless you have formosian termites ( sometimes called dry wood termites ) who derive moisture from the celluse they consume. The colony will be below ground and would leave a mud tunnel from the ground up the foundation to the wood joist. If active infestation is found usually a bait is placed in the yard around the home or a shallow trench is dug around the foundation and the termicide is applied. As a proactive measure you can do this yourself. We treat all our foundations and slabs here in the South as a matter of course.

Good Luck

Eddie

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™