Florida Tenant Laws question

darkhaven80October 16, 2007

I have a question. My best friend lives in the same apartment complex as I do and last month the pest control and apartment manager entered her apartment without any notice, and actually just unlocked and opened the door without knocking. They told her they were spraying. I thought you were supposed to have some sort of notice before they can come in like that? Today I had the maintenance man in my apartment over my air conditioner and when I mentioned this, he said, you know we don't have to give you any notice to come in over things like that. I find that troubling as I hate people in my apartment without me knowing or if I'm not here. Anyone know the truth of this? I thought in Florida you needed two days notice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darkhaven80

Oh, and to clarify after reading what I wrote, I did invite them in for the air conditioner, she just didn't have any knowledge of them spraying that day. She's lived here two years now and never has seen them for that.

Bookmark   October 16, 2007 at 3:59PM
lucy

If nothing else, I'd be very upset for one reason - what if I'd had pets (birds especially) in there that were very susceptible to fumes, etc. from the spraying, and had been given no chance to move them at least to another room?

Bookmark   October 18, 2007 at 4:21AM
darkhaven80

Thankfully they don't have pets, but I find it very intrusive and would be angry myself. Just not sure if it's legal or not to just enter without warning for pest control.

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 6:59PM
moonshadow

I have linked to Florida statute below that I found. It's from a site other than Florida, so it would pay to google "Florida landlord tenant law entry" and find something directly from the State of Florida.

12 hours notice is necessary, however there are exceptions.
See article 83.53 Landlord's access to dwelling unit. at the link below for details (scroll about half way down the page).

The only way they might be able to get in without giving notice in this instance is by claiming they entered to "preserve the premises" from bugs, per item 2 of the statute cited above: The landlord may enter the dwelling unit at any time for the protection or preservation
of the premises.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fla Landord Tenant Statutes

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 8:24PM
moonshadow

Forgot to link to this page that gives you contact info in case you'd like to discuss this with someone in Fla.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fla LL/Tenant Contact info

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 8:26PM
darkhaven80

Thank you so much everyone, sorry it took me so long to respond to the last, but I hadn't noticed it until now.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
Apartment Owners from H**L
We live in the east in a gated apartment complex owned...
pink_warm_mama_1
Terrified of my apartment neighbor what can I do?
I am a university student in a small city. I live in...
lexichay
Share your condo townhouse noise experiences...
I would like to know from those of you who have lived...
Mia_
Finding apartment in Cary NC?
Hi, I am a single mom of two moving into Cary NC area...
aaaaaaaa
Running upstairs!!!!
Please someone help me...I need some advice!! At this...
Venus78k
Sponsored Products
Palazzo 32 3/4" Wide Silver and Gold Leaf Vanity Light
Lamps Plus
ClosetMaid SuiteSymphony 16 in. Starter Kit - 8868
$121.99 | Hayneedle
Coastal Retreat India Gold One Light Table Lamp
$275.82 | Bellacor
Crystal Flower Vine 33 1/4" Wide Bathroom Light Fixture
Lamps Plus
ClosetMaid SuiteSymphony Tie and Belt Rack - 8950
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Florida Shag Cream/Beige 6 ft.
Home Depot
Safavieh Area Rug: Shag Dark Brown/Grey 4' x 6'
Home Depot
University of Central Florida Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Tailgater Mat
$159.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™