Air entrapment holes and flaws in new basement walls

ASeacatMay 4, 2014

My husband and I are building a house through MI Homes in the Indianapolis area. We were quite surprised when the basement wall forms were removed, because it revealed walls that look like swiss cheese -- we were expecting them to be smooth. As shown in the picture the basement walls and the crawl space walls are covered in holes that look like air pockets. Many of these holes are big and deep. I posted all of the photos of this issue on my Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ANNASEACAT/photos/p/pub In general, the basement walls look rough. The contractor is saying that it's "probably cosmetic." Our problem with that comment is that cosmetic issues can be an indication of deeper quality and integrity problems. What does everyone think? Is this what poured basement walls should look like?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures of MI Homes Basement walls

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Here is what the mandatory government Construction Performance Guidelines (large PDF) I work under have to say on the matter:

This post was edited by worthy on Mon, May 5, 14 at 9:36

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:46AM
DreamingoftheUP

Try the "Building a Home" forum.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:34AM
lazy_gardens

That looks like normal concrete out of the form. The vibrator sticks can't get 100% of the bubbles and voids out, especially along the forms.

If you want smooth - that's what furring strips and drywall are for, or a surface coating of cement topping.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
crack in block wall
Almost 2 year old house. Noticed verticle crack in...
newbie21
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™