Basement water problem

prairiefoxMay 25, 2008

I'm hoping someone can give me advise. I am getting my parents' house ready to sell. I live out of state. It's a small house, only valued around $99,000- Rochester, NY area. The house was built in the 50's and has what is called a floating basement. There is a high water table and springs under the ground. When we were kids, the basement was damp but never wet but due to development in the area, the water table has shifted and now the basement has wet spots. My sister checked the house the other day and there is a 1-2 foot puddle about 2 inches deep by the sump pump and moisture along the floor cracks. The walls were dry. The real estate agent says this all needs to be fixed before we put it on the market. I just want to sell and be done with it. Who fixes such things? Are those companies legit that say they waterproof basements? AAAGh! Why didn't my parents fix this years ago!!

Thanks in advance. And yes, there is a dehumidifer but maybe we need a dozen more!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyfree

The real state agent is right. You will be better off having the basement fixed before you sell, because if you don't, chances are that the buyer will want to negotiate down the house's price based on an estimate he will obtain from a contractor he will select himself.
But look at the bright side: a dry basement counts as usable space when you are selling a house.
Here's two important things to consider before you get someone to fix the basement.
- First, select a contractor who offers free consultations. Preferably some reputable waterproofing company with some experience in estimating for real estate transaction purposes.
- Second, make sure he offers a transferable warranty, that will cover the work after the ownership of the house is transfered from the buyer to the seller.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 12:34PM
prairiefox

Thanks, Cyfree! I would not have thought about the transferable warranty. Got any suggestions on a reputable waterproofing company? This is why my own house had to have a completely dry basement. I never want to deal with this again.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 3:59PM
shadetree_bob

Are you sure the sump pump is working. Could be that replacing it with a larger capacity one would cure a lot of the water problems.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
water in unfinished basement
Well its in the 50s here in NJ and the snow is melting....
hoganjr
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Sponsored Products
Selene Drum Pendant by Trend Lighting
$590.00 | Lumens
Westek 18.7 in. Flourescent White 15-Watt Direct Wire with Pull Chain FA354HW
$9.99 | Home Depot
Westek Under Cabinet Lighting 13 in. Halogen Nickel Bar Metallic UB2KB
$19.78 | Home Depot
Fire Pit Art Wings of Flight - Artisan Log Rack - WOF
$390.00 | Hayneedle
Tom Dixon | Pressed Glass Pendant - Lens
$370.00 | YLighting
Modus Bath Bar by Quorum International
$103.00 | Lumens
Dramm Premium Water Timer - 1403-1355
$28.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Contemporary-Pattern Black/Sand Rug (7'10" x 11')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™