X-Post on Kitchens - Need new not high-end cookware for induction

sjhockeyfan325January 3, 2014

We have a new induction cooktop (Bosch 500 series - I am a convert!). I have purchased a large stockpot (Denmark from BB&B) and two smallish non-stick pans (Kitchen Essentials from Target) which all work fine. None of our other pots and pans work, so we need to get something new. I cook regularly, but nothing at all fancy - not gourmet or anything - more like some pork chops, salmon filets, fresh vegetables. I don't want to spend a lot of money, because my cooking isn't worth it and I have no interest in more complicated cooking!

Is there a real difference between IKEA 365+, Walmart's Tramontina, Macy's Circulon Symmetry (or other like models and price points)? We need a 1 qt, 3 qt and 4 qt saucepan, a dutch oven (chili pot), and a large frying pan -- the latter of which is probably the only one where quality makes a difference in the actual cooking.

Thanks for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herring_maven

(see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: How does $49 sound?

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 9:25PM
herring_maven

(see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Not as fancy as the $49 Copper Fusion, but larger

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 9:27PM
macmomma_gw

I've been going to Homegoods and looking at their sale stuff for my induction cookware. I've gotten some great pieces for very little. I use a cast iron dutch oven (Lodge brand) and it works great on the induction range.

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 1:05PM
northcarolina

When I had to get new cookware for induction, I went by how comfortable it felt in my hand. This will be different for everyone (has to do with weight and handle style). I ended up with Farberware Classic, which is the same thing I had before but the new version works on induction. I only bought the individual pots that I needed, not a boxed set; I don't think their nonstick skillets are induction-compatible. All my skillets are cast iron anyway. I also have an enameled cast iron Dutch oven (Fontignac, from BB&B) and love it.

I'd say go round to a few stores that carry cookware and take a magnet with you, and try things out until you find one that feels right in your hand. I was willing to buy something more expensive if I needed to, but Farberware really was more comfortable for me than brands with long handles (plus I knew the handles would stay cool).

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Counter depth refrigerators - who actually stocks them?
I need to replace my current counter depth refrigerator,...
yjacket86
Need advice on combining induction and gas
This is my first post. Please forgive the length or...
jdsb2
Masterchef options for Miele speed oven
I have played around with a Miele combi steam oven...
barbja99
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
Double Gaggeneau Oven vs. Single with Microwave/Convection
We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen. I...
C C
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™