House to Condo

Jon_1October 8, 2011

My wife and I parted ways three years ago and our divorce was final a bit over two years ago. For our thirty of marriage we lived in our own house. Early on we lived in an apartment, but it's been a long time. When we were first separated, I moved into an apartment, but didn't like it and found another one. Then I decided to take cash and by a condo. It's a small one-bedroom which I totally gutted and remodeled. I'm sure it's worth much less than what I paid for with this economy. But when I bought it, I told myself that this would be my final move until assisted living. It's taken three years to get used to living in such small quarters, though living alone, I don't need much space, and it took a very long while for it to feel like "home". But now I love the place and wouldn't want to leave. I was wondering if anyone else has transitioned from living in a house to an apartment or condo and what your experience has been.

-Jon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dalepar

My partner and I have lived in a number of houses, many fairly small. The last house was a bigger house, 3200 sq ft and we had done a lot of remodeling over the years and had it the way we wanted it. Well, he has wanted to move to a high rise condo for the last number of years. After the dogs died, he decided we were moving. I was reluctant at first, but we did find a great condo on the 24th floor of a great building. The condo was two years old when we bought it. It is under 1600 sq ft. I could not be happier. I miss some things about the house, but not much. I love the change and would not move back.

DP

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 1:23AM
More Discussions
Noisy neighbor - am I being oversensitive?
Live in a townhouse next to people with two small kids...
hblotus95
Apartment vs Individual home
Which one do all people likes to stay in an Apartment...
kushy28
Finding apartment in Cary NC?
Hi, I am a single mom of two moving into Cary NC area...
aaaaaaaa
Apartment Owners from H**L
We live in the east in a gated apartment complex owned...
pink_warm_mama_1
Arranging the living room. Help needed.
Hi there, I am needing some help regarding the arrangement...
KarimT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™