Rocker : ID & Care ?

DLM2000March 24, 2011

I bought this rocker many years ago - probably 20 - at a garage sale. Loved the lines then, still do. Haven't a clue what it is, how old, the wood, etc. Over the years I've done nothing more than dust it and wonder if there's anything I can do to perk it up a bit. Clean with mineral spirits (after checking underneath to see what happens?) then wax, perhaps? There are no markings on it that I can find. Do you think it's an American piece? I am clueless about where to begin looking for info - googling "rocker" isn't likely to get me anywhere!

Any information is appreciated, as always. And as usual, I err on the side of too many pictures rather than too few!

Deb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Can't tell you much but the look of the backrest is familiar to me. My aunt had a dining room buffet that had that same pattern in the wood. That was back in early 1950's & was old then. I love the rocker,looks very well made & comfortable!

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 11:43PM
DLM2000

Thanks, sunnyca - it's a favorite piece of mine. It's very comfortable, until I lean my head back - the decorative cut out part hits me in the wrong place!

Hoping one of the furniture and/or wood gurus can give me some info.

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 5:22PM
lindac

The wood is quarter sawn oak, with a mahogany stain.
I can't put a name on the style....but based on the mahogany stain on oak and something about the look of the angle,rake, of the legs I might guess 1910 to 1920.
What do you mean "perk it up"...looks fine to me. But you can do no harm cleaning with mineral spirits and giving it a good coat of paste wax

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 6:29PM
DLM2000

Thanks, Linda - I would not have guessed oak. Do you think it's an American piece? I always think of it as English but that's not based on anything, just a feeling. It probably doesn't show in the pictures but the finish, whatever it is, is quite worn. There are places that have a slightly hazy, dull look. As long as it won't hurt it, I'd just like to clean it up a bit and give it a bit of a glow, nothing dramatic.

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 7:37PM
lindac

It could possibly be mahogany veneer....I can't see well enough to see the openness of the grain.
Perhaps it has been cleaned with something like "orange-glo" which will haze old finishes.
Try cleaning with mineral spirits.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 1:11AM
More Discussions
Need help identifying this lamp.
Please see the picture below. The lamp was originally...
Chuck Wert
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
SFQ54
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
bradleyd_svh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™