How long in an apartment?

nflliferSeptember 14, 2006

How long do most tenants stay in their apartment?

Avg in my city is about 3 years. (this is throwing out the long term)

I have one lady who has been in her apartment for 30+ years. Two other ladies who have been ther 23 years and 25 years! Most leases are around a year but very few move out after a year.

Also typical in my city is a one year lease that goes month to month.

The three ladies that have been there so long don't even have leases or deposits. Everything was verbal back then.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robertgp421

I rented one place for four years, then another for six years. In our fair city, dominated by students, the leases tend to be shorter. A year, perhaps two at the most.

My brother has been in the same complex for almost seven years now. He actually got a rent reduction this year! How odd is that?

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 9:10PM
judi_e

I've stayed in most of the apartments I've lived in for a year. One apartment we stayed in for 2 years, and our current apartment we have lived in for 4 1/2, and are looking at probably a total of 6 or 7 years before we can get a house and get out. I hate that, cuz I feel like we are throwing so much money away on rent, but we just can't afford a house right now. It's a little better now that the neighbor who threatened to hurt my husband has moved out, but we would still desperately love to have our own house.

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 7:17AM
talley_sue_nyc

NYC skews really long. I've stayed 4 or 5 years, but there are many people who, once settled in, stay 15 or longer. The cost of trying to find a new place to live, and the difficulty of it, discourage people.

And of course, it ain't easy to buy here, either, so lots of people stay in rental apartments.

(and I bet we have one of the largest stocks of owner apartments, too)

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 11:48AM
nokeysyet

i have always rented apartments, since i was 18 years old.

my 1st apt; i lived in about 6 months
2nd one; about 2 years
3rd; only a year
4th; for 4 years

current apartment; i've (we) have lived here for about 7 years. now my husband & i are moving again, in next few weeks.

we will probably be in the next apartment for a few years until we are pregnant & need to move again. hopefully that will be it for a while.

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
How common are door notes for communicating with tenants?
Is it legal for an apartment manager to put paper notes...
Jck507
Found these bugs in my apartment , please identify
Found a bunch of these bugs in my apartment and am...
iamcorymorgan
Appliance Size for garage apartment
building an apartment over a garage. apt size is 500...
cobbyw
Terrified of my apartment neighbor what can I do?
I am a university student in a small city. I live in...
lexichay
Does anyone actually like living in an apartment?
In addition to the noise I've just posted about, another...
alllen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™