Anyone had new sump pump fail?

tufenhundelApril 1, 2008

Due to the water table around here, we have a very active sump pump. It is a 1/4 hp submersed unit. My question is how reliable can I expect these pumps to be? I've had it for 2 years, with some annually extremely active periods, so I almost expect it to go already.

What has been your experience with these things?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wtrprfr

The pumps can go at any time, or can last for 10 to 15 years. If it is that active, you should consider an ac/dc/ back-up pump with a separate discharge.

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 5:18PM
funnycide

You need to come up with a back up plan depending on what could be damaged if the sump pump fails.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 10:59AM
carguy60

Have a back up plan, get a good pump, (buy a duplicate also).

Make sure it is adjusted so it is not running too often.
It should run for 1-2 minutes each time it runs.

Good luck
Carguy

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 3:39PM
tufenhundel

Yeah I have a back up plan: A total of 3 pumps in the sump, a main, a redundant to run when I have to replace the main, and a battery backup--with 2 marine batteries...check valves on everything. There's even a brand new pump waiting on the shelf for its call of duty. Some time down the line there'll be a standby generator to replace the battery back-up.

I was just curious because I never had a pump exercised like this one. Short cycling is probably the toughest thing on a motor. I keep on expecting it to fail any day, but it keeps on chugging.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 11:04AM
diymostoftime

Tufenhundel - Wow! 3 pumps in the sump - how do you have room. Is the main and the redundant the same make/manufacturer? How do you have it setup so the redundant will kick in?

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 8:17PM
jasper_60103

tufenhundel,
I had a high water table at my last house. My pump was quite active, even ran during drought periods. The pump lasted for about 7 years. Fortunately, when my pump was starting to fail, it overworked itself. i.e. It kept pumping for about a minute after it emptied the pit.

Anyway, looking back, I was very foolish. I didn't have a backup pump at all. If I lost power even for just a few hours, it could have been disastrous.

As the previous poster stated, come up with a good backup plan.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 1:47PM
jasper_60103

tufenhundel,
I had a high water table at my last house. My pump was quite active, even ran during drought periods. The pump lasted for about 7 years. Fortunately, when my pump was starting to fail, it overworked itself. i.e. It kept pumping for about a minute after it emptied the pit.

Anyway, looking back, I was very foolish. I didn't have a backup pump at all. If I lost power even for just a few hours, it could have been disastrous.

As the previous poster stated, come up with a good backup plan.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™