Foreclosed House - What is this?

fishhawk101April 17, 2013

Hi there!

This is my first post after much lurking.

Today we finalized our purchase of a foreclosed home. It needs work so I doubt this will be my last post!

The house was owned by an older couple and has some interesting features. The first puzzle to figure out is the reason for the strange electrical in the basement. There are five of the pictured outlets on a two opposing walls in the walkout basement. There are caramel colored stains on the flooring which seem to lead toward the basement toilet.

Everyone is telling me this is not meth but I need the forum's opinion before sleeping good at night. The only reason I don't think its non-toxic is because the neighborhood is fairly exclusive and the foreclosed tenants were elderly. However, I've asked a lot of people and so far do not have a good theory.

Any idea?

Thanks

This post was edited by fishhawk101 on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 22:16

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

I've never seen a receptacle/switch combo like that. But I have seen all kinds of Mickey Mouse wiring/rewiring. If you're not familiar with electrical work--and I assume you aren't as you're posting the pic--don't touch it until you're sure what it is. For all you know, those wires could be connected directly to the live and neutral input and be deadly. Post the pic on the electrical forum. Maybe someone there has seen that combo.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BasementConversion

Really surprised by watching those wires. May be those were for purpose,but this is extremely dangerous.keep you and your family members away from it.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 8:17AM
More Discussions
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™