Ceiling above shower stall - drop ceiling?

subywuApril 20, 2006

I went to look at the work done by a prospective basement finishing contractor. I noticed that the ceiling above the 34x34 molded shower stall (and also entire bathroom) is the same drop ceiling that is in the rest of the basement. Is this a problem? The bathroom is vented by can't help but think there might be moisture issues.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blue_fastback

That tile will act like a sponge and soak up moisture like a sponge. He should of put drywall in the bathroom and tiled the shower ceiling.

Bookmark   April 21, 2006 at 5:36PM
subywu

Thanks! Will bring the issue up at the finalization meeting. I am not tiling up the walls above the shower stall (molded) due to budget considerations.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 10:09PM
monzamess

1) Armstrong (for example) sells ceiling panels that look like normal ceiling panels, but they're treated to withstand moisture--made especially for the bathroom. Check if that's what was used.

2) I am putting a suspended ceiling above my basement shower. I plan to use Armstrong's plastic grid components. Instead of the typical ceiling panels, I'm using 2x2 white acrylic light panels. It should look interesting but withstand moisture. If anyone thinks that's a dumb idea, tell me now! :)

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 10:09AM
blue_fastback

The panels are supose to resist moisture some what like for basement applications but for a in the shower?

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 6:07PM
monzamess

From Armstrong's website:

Can Armstrong ceilings be used in the bathroom?

Yes, if the bathroom is vented to the outside with a fan. Armstrong ceilings with HumiGuard Plus are extra sag resistant for use in areas of high humidity. BioBlock Treatment inhibits the spread of mold and mildew.

FWIW the reason I'm using the acrylic panels is that I can't find 'HumiGuard' panels locally, and they seem to be quite expensive to order.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na/ceilings/en/us/article17697.html

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 8:34PM
dgmarie

I have a drop ceiling over a basement shower. It doesn't not absorb water like a biblical sponge. You need a good exhaust vent to the outside (NOT the space above the drop). I assume this bathroom will get only rare use, or will it be going daily? Mine is rarely ever used, but when it is there is not a problem.

Bookmark   April 26, 2006 at 9:08PM
blsdgal

I have two showers in my basement with drop ceiling tiles, one is used at least daily--sometimes twice.

The other one is used daily. We have lived here almost 6 mo and and I haven't seen any problems. I also have Panasonic fans on timers and 2 HRVs that dehumidify the basement.

If you are taking care of humidity, I don't think you will have any problems. FWIW, one of our showers is a tub with a shower curtain and the other is a stall that is open at the top.

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 6:37PM
subywu

Good point about the fan timer. I am having the bathroom exhaust fan put on a timer and will probably have it running for 30 minutes per shower--I don't trust myself to do it that long otherwise.

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 7:41PM
magnetic

You could also use fiberglas drop-ceiling tiles in the bathroom. They are made of yellow, insulation-type soft fiberglas with a plastic underside (with the design imprinted in them.) They are totally resistant to moisture -- the only downside is that the white ceiling side is kind of shiny vs. matte. I've seen them at Menards.

Bookmark   May 10, 2006 at 10:20AM
bronwynsmom

Have you thought about adding a humidistat to your shower fan? It will kick in any time the humidity reaches the level you specify. We have one, plus a thermostat, for our attic fan (we live in the hummid coastal South), and it works wonderfully to keep moisture and heat from building up.

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 4:17PM
hilltop_gw

We have ceiling tiles in our basement "kids" bathroom where showers have been taken daily for nearly 10 years. No moisture problems at all. We have a ceiling fan that I preach they must use.

Bookmark   May 12, 2006 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
New Home Build - window size for drywall?
Apologies if this has been asked before - can't seem...
lookintomyeyes83
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Basement Renovation questions.
I need a basement renovation. It's dark and cold. Low...
radianyce
water seeping through floor?
I have a finished walk out basement. After several...
abbey_cny
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
Sponsored Products
Modernist Drum Pendant Lamp Medium in Black
ModernistLighting.com
Fredrick Ramond FR42402BRC Pandora Brushed Cinnamon 4 Light Chandelier
Littman Bros Lighting
Sky Blue Circle Rings Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
LED 16" Goodyear Ceiling Cherry Red Dimmable Barn Light
$307.00 | Cocoweb
22W T5 2GX13 Circline Fluorescent 3000K Bulb by SATCO Lighting
$49.99 | Lumens