exterior waterproofing... worth it?

kcinkc71April 10, 2013

we are about to embark on our tear down/ re build. quick history. Kansas City area, 9' poured concrete walls. drain tile to sump pit, gravel backfill 12" to 18" out from wall. new footers down to virgin soil. We will eventually finish the basement, plan on 2" xps on interior walls (down to footers before slab is poured)

I have asked for exterior waterproofing, not damp proofing. it would be a sprayed on membrane (Impax?) or similar.

worth it or a waste without bubble membrane? Lot has good drainage and downspouts will be buried to daylight downhill, 6" gutters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

All sprayed-on waterproofing has a limited ability to span cracks, typically 1/16". Some of these products also must be used in conjunction with a specified protection board. If they aren't speced that way, add aDelta MS membrane (or equivalent). In that case, unless there are particular aggravating local conditions, you can forego the sprayed membrane altogether.

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 13:51

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 11:35AM
wterry

Sonneborn makes a urethane waterproofing that can be sprayed another that can be brushed and another that can be troweled. these are great products. The Delta MS is a great product and in my opinion should be installed in addition to any water proofing product you choose. As to should a spray waterproofing should be applied. I never cut corners on waterproofing and mitigation. Having to correct the problem in the future would be much more costly than any system you can install at the time of construction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foudation Solutions of Northern Kentucky

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:43AM
kcinkc71

Thanks. I am not sure about aggravating conditions. Concepts are understood about keeping water away from foundation. I have spec'd that I want waterproofing, not just a thin sprayed on coat (for looks mostly). Not saying it is correct, but not much membrane being used in this area.
Is there a spray on product that is justifiable and might actually work? Thanks

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
crack in block wall
Almost 2 year old house. Noticed verticle crack in...
newbie21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™