want to temporarily spruce up basement

bsacksApril 25, 2007

We are definitely going to finish our basement with top quality materials - when we have enough money together. In the meantime, I'd like to just make it nice enough for the kids to be able to play there. I was thinking of painting the cement walls and putting down cheap carpet squares. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Do I really need to prime the walls before painting if I know we are going to sheetrock within a year (hopefully)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

You can definitely paint your concrete. Plan that it is a slow process to brush paint into all of the uneven spots and may take 2 coats. Parts of ours was painted for several years until the finishing could "catch-up". We even anchored picture hooks onto the walls and hung some posters. I would be careful about gluing anything onto the floor unless you know what your eventual flooring might be. Glue clean-up can be a mess. Consider a carpet remnant.

Meanwhile, you will be using the space and imagining how you would like it finished. Use this as your opportunity to develop your plan, even anticipate finishing it in phases.

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 6:05PM
dgmarie

Try to incorporate as much floor and task lighting as you can. Many basements make the mistake of opting for just overhead lights, or flourescent lights, which make the space feel cold and clinical. And avoid junking it with remnant furniture which tends to make the whole space feel as though you're using it for storage. Invest in some decent quality, durable pieces, a nice remnant rug (with a good pad or it will feel hard on the concrete). you could even paint the floors if you wanted. Some tables, a few lamps and some color on the walls. It should look much more inviting. You don't have to break the bank either.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 12:21PM
ravlegend

Don't know where you at but that seem liked a basement w/o any insulation if you going to paint the concrete wall.

Would coldness be a factor during the winter season? How was it before?

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
GE Outdoor Lighting. Black Motion-Sensing Battery Operated Plastic Spotlight
$25.89 | Home Depot
Home Dynamix 3296 Madlena Area Rug - Brown - 3296-500-MADLENA 2
$124.99 | Hayneedle
Garage Flooring Accessories: G-Floor Garage Flooring 8 ft. x 22 ft. Coin
$1.93 | Home Depot
Westek 18.7 in. Flourescent White 15-Watt Direct Wire with Pull Chain FA354HW
$9.99 | Home Depot
SIS Covers Opulence Duvet Set - OPUL-XDUCK6
$279.00 | Hayneedle