English tins...

patty_cakesMarch 5, 2010

Anyone collect them? Is there a story/history behind them, or were they primarily used for candies, crackers, cookies, and probably tobacco? ;o)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

I have a few. Charles & Diana after the wedding on 1 side, with scenes of famous buildings around town. Homemade Ginger Wafers by Famous Biscuit Co. is really nice, container made in England,Embossed on bottom, it has lots of gold & young girl on 1 side & house & flowers on other-it's my favorite.It's about 5 1/2 in. tall oval can. Several other biscuit & other tins, I just liked them & they were cheap. I love "dime banks" they look just like spice cans but the top is different & has a slit big enough to put a silver dollar through, you pry top off with end of bottle opener you used to open things with,like a paint can opener. They didn't have spice in the cans but Betsy Ross tea, I got it in Santa Ana at large antique mall years ago. Lady said what all they sold in them but I've forgotten but I think different brands of tea mostly,mine is 3 1/2 in. tall 1 1/2 in. wide so tea was very expensive, had other sizes I guess as it says 10cent size Red background with Betsy Ross sewing on the flag gold lettering. Most of rest are good for storing buttons. Mine had everything but tobacco. I used to have a couple that had handles so you could carry them. One came filled with buttons, that is why I bought it. Some great buttons!! I think they were originally associated with sewing or storing crackers(biscuits) kept the critters out of the food.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 2:04AM
More Discussions
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
SFQ54
Name on artwork
I just got this photo today, have you ever hear of...
Dones
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™