36" induction cooktop with bridge

woodysapsuckerJanuary 10, 2014

So far we've only found two 36" induction glass-top cooktops that have a bridge. The KitchenAid KICU569XBL and the Jenn-Air JIC4536XS. Does anyone else know of a different manufacturer that makes a 36" induction with a bridge element? My husband makes fabulous breakfasts using our current bridge with a griddle so I'd love to keep that feature in our next cooktop.

For those of you that have a KitchenAid or Jenn-Air induction - do you like them? Any repair problems with either of these induction cooktops? Consumer reports didn't rate Jenn-Air's repair record very well so I'm wondering what you all have found.

I really appreciate your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bevwinchester

yes, Kenmore. We considered it before choosing a Bosch 500- i would still kinda like to have the bridge burner, though

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 1:45PM
athomesewing

Sigh...(would love to have one)...there is the Thermador Freedom Induction cooktop.

Bring on the griddles (pots and pans), any shape or size, put them any place you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermador Induction

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 2:47PM
woodysapsucker

Thanks bevwinchester we'll take a look at the Kenmore too. athomesewing we did see the Thermador Induction but eliminated that one because the cost was so much higher. We're purchasing multiple appliances at one time so we're trying to find the units that have everything we like with the least cost.

We are quite interested to know of repair records too since that will affect the cost in the long run.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 4:52PM
bevwinchester

Ah, yes, the Therm. Freedom is awesome, but still too new here to be sensibly priced, alas. Good luck with your search- we love our Bosch 500!

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 5:56PM
girlromin

I'm sorry that I don't have intel to add, but I'm following this discussion with interest. I live in Europe and can't believe how paltry the induction selection is in the US (where I am remodeling our house). And I can't bring back any of the good stuff with me!

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 4:24AM
sjhockeyfan325

Cucinamia, neither can we! (Just last night we were discussing chip-and-PIN cards in the context of the Target security breach)

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 12:25PM
BirchPoint

The thermador only allows 4 pots/pans at a time even though it is suppose to have the largest cooking surface?!?

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 4:53PM
sjhockeyfan325

I'm pretty sure that's true of all the "full surface" induction units available in the US (not sure about European versions)

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 6:50PM
bevwinchester

Ha, you know - it's kinda funny; we all have different cooking habits & preferences...eve though I have the Bosch 500 36" induction with 5 burners, I never have over 3 going at 1 time! Too damn much multi tasking for me!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 12:00AM
lepages

I have the 36" Jenn-Air Induction cooktop. I really like it. Primarily I went with Jenn-Air because of the rebates and the free dishwasher. LIke you I also wanted the bridge element and that was also a deciding factor. We haven't been able to find a pan to fit the bridge so we haven't used that yet. If anyone knows of a pan that would fit the bridge let me know!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 11:49AM
woodysapsucker

lepages I've been having a hard time too finding a induction compatible griddle. At one of the appliance stores we saw a Demeyere griddle on top of an induction cook-top and I thought I finally found the answer. Unfortunately the Demeyere is discontinued - probably because the list price was $500. Unless another company comes out with something new before we purchase our cooktop, I'll be using the Rocky Mtn griddle. I don't know if this is the best place to purchase it but wanted to give you a link: https://www.etundra.com/kitchen-supplies/cookware/griddles/rocky-mtn-cookware-rm1423-8-14-inch-by-23-inch-2-burner-griddle/?CAWELAID=1570369456&catargetid=1569871141&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKfD596VnLwCFUFo7AodkSYAFQ. When I use it I'll be putting parchment paper under the griddle so I don't have any problems with scratching the glass cook-top. If you should find anything else, please let me know.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 10:43AM
athomesewing

They were made for Thermador as well, I don't know if these are the same....

Here is a link that might be useful: Teppan Yaki Grill

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 2:52PM
woodysapsucker

After using my Jenn-Air cook-top for a while I thought I should post an update to this. I have the 36" cook-top with two "bridge" elements. Everyone should know that these really aren't bridge elements at all. They are just two separate burners with one control. When one puts an induction compatible griddle on these burners you end up with two hot spots and the area between the burners heated only by the thermal conductivity of your griddle. We purchased a Chef King Steel Griddle, seasoned it and the only part of the griddle that turned black are where the two burners are located. This was really disappointing to us. We feel it's poor marketing to label these cook-tops as having "bridge" elements when in fact they don't.

I made this comment to a repairman that came to our home and he said that none of the induction cook-tops have a true bridge element - the technology just isn't there. I don't know if the Thermador Freedom is an exception to this rule.

I should say though that I do love induction - just disappointed that I don't have a bridge element on my induction cook-top.

Bookmark   December 4, 2014 at 12:43PM
elaine9777

Thanks for the info about the bridge feature. Has anyone had this experience with Kichenaid bridge? I am shopping for induction and the bridge feature is very attractive, but only if it's a true bridge. I am between the bosh 800 or the kitchenaid architect 2. I was leaning towards KA but will reconsider if this is true. Bosh 800 doesn't offer bridge and benchmark is out if my budget. The next important feature for me is minimum pan size. Can anyone tell me what the smallest pan diameter they are able to use on the KA or Bosch 800?

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 6:03PM
twinbucklake

How do you like the power slide feature on the Jenn-Air? That feature alone, is kind of pushing me towards the Bosch 800 - I would rather have individual numbers so I can go from a power level of 9 to a 3 without having to slide up or down.

Bookmark   February 18, 2015 at 9:49AM
houztongirl

elaine9777,

Check out the KA reviews on the ajmadison website. Multiple reviewers complained that small pots and pans do not work on any burner.

Bookmark   March 17, 2015 at 10:55PM
lepages

I don't mind the slide at all. I think once you get used to it its second nature.

Bookmark   March 18, 2015 at 5:39AM
hangingbaskets

I am planning on purchasing the Bosch Benchmark 36 inch induction with the flex induction on both ends of the cooktop and a large element in the middle. Each flex induction has 4 induction coils to allow for a true bridging feature. I plan on purchasing their grill plan and griddle accessory. So excited!

Bookmark   March 18, 2015 at 10:22AM
cherylseidel

I'm currently trying to decide on an induction cooktop. I was told by a salesperson that KA and Jenn-air are the same company and there is no real difference between the two. I love using my small saucepans and am concerned. Does anyone have a Wolf? I was leaning toward that one.

Bookmark   March 18, 2015 at 6:48PM
houztongirl

cherylseidel, you might wnt to look at the Bosch Benchmark 36 inch. I think it's overall the best thought out design. It appears to have true bridging in the flexinduction zones, handles a large variety of pan sizes (and pans of a given size can go in multiple positions), handles up to 5 pots (as opposed to 4 for the therador freedom or gaggenau full-surface) and has 19(?) power levels. I think Wolf only has ~10. I tried out the previous generation of Wolf which also had around 10 power levels and found that 10 was not quite enough granularity on the low end. When I was trying to fry an egg, I wanted a setting between two levels. While Wolf seems to have more expertise wth gas burners and ovens, I think Bosch has more expertise and cooler technology when it comes to induction. The new Bosch models that are being sold here in the US (incl. flexinduction) are essentially the same as what's been out in Europe for some time, so the design is more tested as well.

The documentation for the previous genration of Wolf induction cooktops explicitly stated minimum pan (base) sizes for all rings. The new documentation does not. In fact, the new documention looks a little hastily thrown together. Recall, that the entire induction collection was a last minute addition to this big rollout. The 24 and 36 inch Wolf induction units do not have rings smaller than 8 inches. When I called Wolf, they did not know the min. pan size. I am wondering if the 24 and 36 Wolf induction cooktops might have the same limitations as KA with respect to small pan sizes....

The one thing I did like better about the Wolf induction (at least the old generation - I haven't checked the new one) was the simplicity of the interface. The Bosch interface is a little over-engineered for my taste.

Another consideration of course, if you are buying an oven and fridge from Wolf-Subzero, the Wolf induction might be free or almost free with package discounts.

Bookmark   March 18, 2015 at 8:54PM
cherylseidel

Thank you. I will look at the Bosch.

Bookmark   March 19, 2015 at 5:18AM
jquigley3

I am very interested in the Bosch Benchmark FlexInduction Cooktop and would like to encourage anyone that has one to please post up your reviews and experiences.

Bookmark   March 20, 2015 at 8:06AM
twinbucklake

I was so close to purchasing the Bosch Flex 36" induction cooktop, but the one thing that stopped me was its really a 37" - meaning the cooktop hole is one inch bigger than most of the other 36" cooktops - that just makes me nervous - if for some reason the Bosch doesn't work out for whatever reason, I'm left with a hole in my granite too big to fill with any other manufacturers cooktop. Call me cynical, but I think Bosch probably did this on purpose - I did LOVE this cooktop, the design, the control interface - maybe it was a stupid reason not to purchase it - I would love to hear some reviews on it.

Bookmark   on Monday at 11:40AM
weedmeister

The opening is 34 3/4" to 34 7/8". The rest is overlap.

Bookmark   on Monday at 1:25PM
marcmargolis926
Mine is installed in a standard 36 inch cabinet without any modfication.
    Bookmark   on Monday at 2:10PM
pogomomm

A new Wolf 36 induction is coming out, CI365C/B. I haven't seen it in person, and the wolf website mysteriously does not show a detail image. The Price has dropped to $2500 for the contemp flush version, and it can be mounted inset and flush with countertop for a sleek look. I found a photo on the web, Large burner on right, 4 smaller symmetrical burners on left in a square grid, all 4 can be bridged together or in any combination. Has anyone seen it in person?

Bookmark   on Monday at 2:43PM
kaseki

On the 37-inch compatibility issue. Electrolux cooktops are of this type. The required cutout is larger than for many other induction cooktops. However, many of these will extend beyond the cutout and hence cover it. It will be necessary, when "downsizing," to add support within the cutout.

Also of note is that some 37-inch units have significant overhang and their cutout sizes are smaller than required for the Electrolux. I think Thermador is in this camp. Collecting a batch of installation directions for various manufacturers' cooktops will better reveal compatibility of cutouts.

On granularity. The Wolf CI365 units show 10 levels as a slider interface. The user manual does not mention half settings, so my guess is that 10 levels are all one has.

On bridging. Bridging only means that pairs (or more) of induction hobs (coils) can be controlled together. Heating of a rectangular griddle will be uneven with two bridged circular hobs unless the griddle's base thermal conductivity is very good. Cooktops such as the Bosch shown below likely provide more uniform heating among the side hobs, but I don't own one to confirm that.

kas

Bookmark   on Tuesday at 10:27AM
akrogirl32

We just recently visited the BSH showroom in LA to check out the differences in their various induction cooktops. One thing we learnt, that was important for us, is that the All-Clad fish poacher, and any similar sized pan, will not work on the Gagg and Thermador Freedom cooktops - the individual coils are too large! The same issue people have found with small pans with the KA it seems. The Bosch Flex worked well with all the pans we tried. We will also get their new griddle and grill.

1 Like    Bookmark   15 hours ago
twinbucklake

I have already purchased the GE 36" Induction cooktop - but someday I know I will upgrade - maybe in a few years, the freedom induction cooktops will get to a more reasonable price range. I really wanted that Bosch Flex - but hubby decided on the GE - it has no bells and whistles. I do love induction though!

Bookmark   13 hours ago
weedmeister

Kas: that's a great picture.

Bookmark   11 hours ago
kitchengirl

Am I the only person interested in the Thermador CIT365K, the frameless 36" Masterpiece (not the FREEDOM) cooktop? It is priced similarly to the Bosch Benchmark and has had some positive feedback on appliance websites, but no one other than me seems to have their eye on this model. Please let me know why other 36" models are better.

The unit is quite powerful, frameless, which I strongly prefer (no oil buildup around the edge of the cooktop) and has two equal-sized hobs on the left side (assuming I find a good griddle).

Thanks!!

Bookmark   8 hours ago
kaseki

weedmeister: Late last night I discovered the photo's likely original source. I'll post it when I am at home.

kitchengirl: Due to failure of my Kenmore Elite (Electrolux Icon clone), a story I won't try to expand on now, I too am interested in any induction cooktop having a surface size that extends beyond the 20.5 x 36-inch cutout of the Kenmore. There are relatively few. One is the CIT365K. Another is the "undressed" Bosch in the photo above. And there is the 80 series Electrolux Icon, which is nearly identical to the Kenmore in parameters and won't require any added support in the cut-out. All of these have only a 1 year warranty on the electronics guts.

The fervor that some on the Internet exhibit with respect to denouncing Electrolux's support and board failure rate after owning their cooktops for a year or two is understandable, and gives pause to selecting the otherwise simple swap-in of a new Electrolux. (Although mine lasted 7 years, the propagation of a board failure through other several-hundred-dollar boards is unacceptable as a design practice. Repair would cost more than a new Electrolux, and nearly as much as a new Thermador.) This makes the "rent" on the Kenmore about $300/yr.

I expect that significant insurance covering several years will be needed just to bring the cooktop "rent" down to a reasonable level. I have no knowledge of BSG Group's failure rates versus Electrolux's for me to use failure as a criterion, but I haven't seen the level of rage of the Electrolux victims in any Bosch or Thermadore comments. My searching is still early though.

There is one user interface difference that is significant between the Electrolux and the Bosch/Thermador cooktops. In the Electrolux, there is a control for each hob; whereas for the Bosch/Thermador interfaces, one has to select a hob and then use a common setting interface. Rapid response to a boilover could be delayed with this type of interface.

kas

Bookmark   6 hours ago
kaseki
    Bookmark   3 hours ago
More Discussions
wall ovens - Wolf M Series, Gaggenau, or Bosch Benchmark
I am desperately trying to make a decision about my...
riese1
Where do you guys buy a refrigerator for your house?
Hi, all! I am thinking about buying a new refrigerator...
mrseangao
hood suggestions for 36" 6 burner bluestar?
i have searched til my fingers are blue for a 36"...
lilmagil1
Does Wolf M-Series Double Oven come with Temperature Probe?
If yes, great. If not, does anyone know how much the...
wcutiew
Problem with installing PHS920SFSS GE Slide-in induction range
Hi all, Has anyone installed the GE PHS920SFSS slide-in...
tsesung
Sponsored Products
42" Cirrus Aluminum Finish Ceiling Fan with Light Kit
Euro Style Lighting
FSC HBi 200W Induction High Bay, 120/277V
LBC Lighting
52" Cirrus Gloss White Hugger Ceiling Fan with Light Kit
Euro Style Lighting
Monte Carlo Ceiling Fans Elliptical 44 in. White Ceiling Fan 3ELR44WH
Home Depot
Mint Stainless Steel Whistling Tea Kettle
$10.99 | zulily