Best Rule for Light Spacing for Recessed Lights in basement

the-tech-guyApril 18, 2013

What is the best rule to use for spacing LED recessed cans in a basement? I heard a 6" can should be 6' feet apart. I also heard to divided the length of the wall by the number of direct light in feet the bulb gives out. My ceiling is ranges from 7-8 feet and I plan on using 6" cans with LEDs lights.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

You really need to look at the photometric data for the LED you're planning to use. And then adjust placement based on your lighting needs/desires. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that too many cans can always be dimmed while maintaining placement. Realizing you don't have enough life after the fact makes for lousy can placement or a lot of work/expense rearranging things.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:57PM
brickeyee

It depends on the spread of the fixtures you choose and the height from the floor more then anything else.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:13PM
the-tech-guy

If I plan to use halogen br30s now due to price but in the future plan on using LEDs, will the spacing might not work out that well when I eventually put the LEDs in? Or will it be pretty easy to find the equivalent light spread in LEDs? I am putting up a drywall ceiling so changing the cans around will not be an option.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™