Vinyl Flooring on Cement Floor

msmity29April 17, 2008

We are currently in the process of finishing a playroom for our children in our basement and are trying to finalize our flooring plan. Originally we had planned on laying laminate flooring, but have since determined that the floor is not level enough to do so. Now we plan on laying vinyl flooring that is made as planks and look just like wood (sold at Menards). However, we are afraid that the floor is going to be too cold for little ones. Any suggestions on inexpensive underlayment options to increase the comfort of such a floor? Someone recommended plywood but I am not sure how I would fasten this onto the cement. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

I hope you realized that any defects in the concrete will telegraph through the vinyl, so you may have to spend some time prepping the floor.

For comfort, you really can't beat carpeting although in a basement I can understand why some people are reluctant to use it. I don't see plywood having much insulation value. To make a substantial difference you'd need some kind of real insulation.

Maybe vinyl and some areas rugs?

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™