Needing help/advice, please

justlindaMarch 31, 2012

This marigold carnival glass vase I just inherited is quite old, and I've noticed some 'air' bubbles. These can't be felt either inside or outside and do not seem to compromise the integrity of the vase (like leaking). I'm wondering if these air bubbles have anything to do with how old it may be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Well....sort of....
It indicates it's hand made....but doesn't tell when.
Lets see more of the vase.....don't think it's carnival, which was pressed glass. Yours looks blown.
Can we see the whole thing and the bottom?
Linda c

    Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 7:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They came in a pair, my sister got one and I got one. Unfortunately the one I got is damaged, but the memories are still there :). I can feel 3 distinct "seams", as if it were made in three sections.

I realize that it is not worth a whole heck of a lot, but my mother-memories are worth millions!

    Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 7:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Fenton would consider this Carnival glass. They produced a very similar vase in the flute pattern in their iridyll (sic?) glass, later known as Carnival. Your's may even be Fenton.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fenton Fluted vases

    Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 8:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Fenton made early carnival and continued to make that iridescent glass until...don't know when maybe 1970?
The later Fenton is somewhat heavier than the early stuff...
Beacuse of the bubbles and the clear area at the bottom...I am thinking it's not Fenton....but for sure it's good old carnival!
When I asked for pictures I was thinking perhaps favrile.....but I see not.
Linda C

    Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 9:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm thinking it's not Fenton for the same reason, but the double drape at the bottom under the fluting makes me think it bears consideration. My point was that carnival was more than pressed glass. That term is applied to most any iridescent glass with metallic over clear, and particularly that type popular in the 20s and 30s, of which this would be a prime example. You bet this was blown, it was blown into a mould and then the top worked hot.

    Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 9:54PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Help Glassware/Stemware Experts
Please any glassware experts out there know...
Question about Eastlake washstand that has two types of drawer joints
Hi. I recently purchased an antique washstand that...
Patricia Oliver
Wood antique furniture one chest of drawers .
Trying to remove the grit coat off of the stain without...
Antique/Retro Fridge Loud Vibration noise
My retro 1946 Frigidaire fridge started making very...
Tina Jansen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™