Pad under carpet in the basement, did you regret it?

dominogoldApril 5, 2006

Personally I dislike the feeling of carpet with no pad, especially on basement floors.

However many carpet people I talk to say it's a good idea incase you have water in the basement, then the pad won't cause mold.

Is this really true, and isn't there some other way around this? To me, carpet without pad is like a car without an engine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasper_60103

dominogold,
I figure you have to weigh your own risk. It even should be considered before finishing a basement. Water could possibly do more damage than ruining carpet.

My basement is dry and the sump pump never runs, even during a down pour. So I sleep well at night.

One alternative would be to use area rugs over a tile floor, but I suppose this is almost equivalent to carpet w/o the padding though.

Another option would be to use carpet squares. I think some have padding built in? And if disaster strikes, you only have to replace the damaged ones.

Hope this helps.

-jasper

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 1:37PM
kkay_md

I regret ever putting carpet (with pad) in my basement in the first place. We're planning to remodel our baement, and will use cork or Pergo instead. I have a dry basement, but it smells musty and I think the carpet compounds the problem.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 3:50PM
ncbuckeye

kkay,
What kind of climate control do you use for your basement? We also have padding under carpet and don't have the musty problem. We have the a/c cycle which pulls quite a bit of the moisture from the air.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 7:55PM
schreibdave

I have painted my basement floors with Drylok and will be putting down padding and carpet remnant (got them free from a friend) over that. None of it will be secured to the floor and it wont be wall to wall. I'll leave a foot or so of concrete showing around the perimeter. I think this system wil be cheap, relatively attractive (for a basement) and will allow me to monitor the condition of the pad and carpet. It'll be easily removed if I sense that it's damp or moldy. Good luck.

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 7:05AM
dgmarie

We have a very thick pad under the berber in our finished english basement. There is no water problem etc and no smell or mustiness. The carpet feels fantastic and very warm underfoot. Our last home had this industrial HD carpet glued right to the cement and it was like walking on cement itself. And always cold. I'd go for padding.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 12:01AM
jasper_60103

dgmarie,
I did the same thing.
I finished my english basement with berber carpet.
I think its great too. Very comfortable under foot.

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 9:36AM
brickeyee

If a carpted basement flood call the carpet company immediately. The carpet can be easily pulled up and everything dried out.
The carpet is then just put back down.
Waiting even 24 hours to remove the carpet can ruin both it and the padding.

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™