Ceiling options w/out losing much space

wolverine2April 5, 2013

We're finishing our basement ourselves and have come to the point where we have to decide what to do w/ the ceiling. We'd like to preserve as much space as possible, and even considered leaving it open and painting the joists/pipes, etc., but want to have a bit more soundproofing than that would provide. We'll have a spiral staircase so there will be an open hole to our living room, but right now even without the hole we can hear everything between the two floors, and would like to dampen that, even though we will have the spiral stairs.

We've looked at several options and are a little confused about what would save the most height and also not be too complicated. We don't want to just put drywall up on the joists because they aren't straight. We also were planning on using recessed lighting. It's a 1920 house.

1- Use furring strips and drywall.

2- Using resilient channel/drywall. This seems good for the soundproofing, but I don't know if it saves us any space over the furring strips, and we can't quite understand how to use recessed lighting w/ the channels- seems like you have to build a box around the cans?

3- use ceiling tiles mounted on a grid directly on the joists. We don't want the suspended ceiling look, but I think there are options nowadays that don't look like that? This seems easier w/ the recessed cans, but not sure of total cost. And some tiles provide more soundproofing than others, but I really don't want it to look like a tacky basement ceiling.

Any options we haven't thought of yet? We were going to do laminate flooring, but that loses space too, so any other thoughts about saving room that way are welcome as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

The best way to reduce impact sound from above is to treat the floor above. Carpeting or loose rugs do the job.

As long as you will have a staircase right into the finished area of the basement, there's no point in doing any soundproofing from below. If you like the warehouse/loft look, just clean up the ceiling and paint it.

This post was edited by worthy on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 19:45

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Sponsored Products
Curl Bronze Three-Light Chandelier with Amber Crystal Glass
$275.00 | Bellacor
Wyndham Collection Esprit Espresso Single Bathroom Vanity Set
Overstock.com
Three Feathers Throw Pillow
$44.99 | zulily
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Bahama Weave 34 in. Dark Mahogany Outdoor Table
Home Depot
LC12 La Roche Table
Design Within Reach
Hand-tufted Chalice Beige Rug (7'9 x 9'9)
Overstock.com
Kichler Portman Square Modern Contempo Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Mora Leather Loveseat - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™