Types of dropped ceilings?

mamacolApril 27, 2006

We are finishing our basement and have lots of plumbing and HVAC runs that are soffited. Most of those dampers and plumbing clean-outs are within the soffits. What is the best way to ensure access to them after the rooms are finished? Do people ever run ceiling tiles along soffits - both the bottoms and/or the faces of them? If I drywall, I will need several "access panels" of some sort. Any ideas? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dominogold

Put in a drop ceiling for sure I just finished mine looks great and is very functional for access.

www.armstrong.com and www.usg.com are the two major manufacturers

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 1:20PM
homebound

Take a look at Armstrong's Ceiling Max (at HD, among others) if you need every inch in height. Sort of like a drop ceiling, but you attach it to the bottom of the joists to save inches. Home Depot has a display, sort of. BTW, it's easier to install if you finish the walls first.

Bookmark   May 20, 2006 at 7:38PM
mkkristen

I would definitely use drop ceiling because if you ever need to access anything it is much easier to access then cutting a hole in drywall. There are all types of drop ceilings--wood, tin, fake wood that looks real, gypsum, etc. The company we are ordering from is www.iscsupply.com They seem to have good prices and a good selection and the sales rep I talked to was very helpful. I was pretty excited to see that there was more than just plain white tiles!

Here is a link that might be useful: ISC Supply

Bookmark   May 21, 2006 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Basement Carpet
Hello, I'm looking for help finding the right natural...
oreiad
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™