installing interior framed walls

gerry422April 3, 2013

I have a small basement less than 500sq ft and have layed the subfloor, Platon by Armtec. I have the concrete exterior walls insulated with styrofoam and the framing done along the exterior which is screwed into the concrete floor.
The floor slopes about 3 inches from the outside wall to the center where the drain is. I want to add 3/4 inch plywood atop the Platon subfloor and then carpet. I plan on shimming the plywood floor to level the floor. By doing this the concrete floor will have a slope but the interior floor will be level. So there will be a gap between the Platon subfloor and the plywood floor.

My question is should I lay the plywood floor first and then attach the inside wall studs to the plywood? Screwing the floor studs to the plywood not into the concrete.
Or should I install the interior wall studs from ceiling to the subfloor, ie concrete, and the plywood floor would be still shimmed until level up against these walls.

This post was edited by gerry422 on Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 10:09

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

inside wall studs

Assuming this refers to dividing walls for rooms, I would anchor the baseplates to the floor directly to be sure they are secure. Placing the baseplates on top of strips of 1" XPS provides a thermal break and protects them from any minor flooding.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 12:42PM
gerry422

If I understand you correctly, the baseplates for each interior wall should be anchored thru the 3/4 plywood all the way into the concrete. I do not know what XPS is.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:11PM
worthy

I should have been clearer. I would anchor the baseplates to the concrete first, then add the plywood later for the reasons I mentioned above. This is not to say that this is the "right" way. XPS is the abbreviation for extruded polystyrene.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 12:59AM
brickeyee

You might want to consider flattening the floor before doing anything else.

Shimming out a below grade floor is a PITA.
You need pressure treated shims and treated plywood also.

Despite the membrane you have to worry about condensation rotting out the wood.

" Platon creates an impermeable vapour barrier"

Here is a link that might be useful: Platon

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
crack in block wall
Almost 2 year old house. Noticed verticle crack in...
newbie21
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™