Basement Dehumidifier Recommendations & Questions

rdonchezApril 15, 2013

I have a rather large unfinished basement and the dehumidifier that is down there now has become unbelievably loud. Therefore, I am looking for a replacement. Are there any brands that are generally recommended? I would prefer a model with a built in pump.

Also, what is generally the recommended humidity to keep in the basement? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

There are some threads at GW on dehumidifier brands. A central dehumidifier would be quietest, as it's part of the central HVAC system, which is usually in a separate room. However, the cost will be five-10 times that of a stand-alone unit. FWIW, I've always used basic stand-alone models from Woods.

The EPA says 30-50%RH; CMHC (Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.) says below 60%; Woods recommends 50%RH.

This post was edited by worthy on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 18:38

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 11:49AM
bus_driver

I have found 50% to be the best choice for me. Much lower means very long run times for the dehumidifier and of course much more cost for electricity. 60% is on the borderline of being too high. Some mildew can be expected at 60%.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 4:19PM
Helena2013

I've begun researching dehumidifiers and did a search for the Woods models, a couple of which are currently being sold via Amazon (I'm in the USA, btw).

However, I also found this link which states that the manufacturer is now out of business, following a recall of about 2500 of their smaller size units:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2003/CPSC-WC-Wood-Company-Announce-Recall-of-Dehumidifiers-/

Any suggestions for a currently available comparable product?

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™