What make/year is this Ladder Back Chair?

monmac35March 20, 2012

Can anyone tell me what make/year this ladder back chair with rush seat is? They were left behind in the house I bought last year and I'm trying to find out some information on them.

Thank you!

Monmac35

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p588/monmac35/007.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Unless there is a burned in maker's stamp on the chair, no one can tell you who made them. And without a closer look it's almost impossible to say when.
Is the rush seat natural rush? twisted paper or plastic? Are there tool marks on the turnings? any wear on the rungs or the bottom?
They could possibly be 100 years old...or brand new.

Here is a link that might be useful: ladderback chairs

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 4:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonshadow

My hunch tends to be it's newer. Or else newly refinished and a new seat done. I love ladderback chairs and have an old one I got at auction. The wood shows wear at the base of each leg and the top of the front two legs. Also the tops of the front legs of mine have very small slits in the wood. Kind of like spokes in a wheel from the center of the leg outward. I couldn't sand that part out if I wanted to, it's small but runs too deep to sand. That part could be from storage in extreme temps or something, but it doesn't bother me, I like the character. Looking past the finish to the wood itself, does yours have any signs of age/wear/use that we can't see in the photo?

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 5:40AM
More Discussions
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
alygal
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™