Reasonable price on countertop for wet bar = hard to find!!

dominogoldApril 7, 2006

So I have a wet bar in my basement, about 35 sq ft of countertop space. Getting a little shocked at the granite quotes of $2500-4000 for a countertop. That is way over my budget. I had budgeted $1000 for the countertop...

Anyone have any recommendations for a good laminate and where to find people that do that? Everything seems to be granite but no laminate places? Is this something I can install myself or should I hire it out.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
formulaross

You can order premade laminate countertops from the box stores and install it yourself, done that and its easy. Hardest thing is probably transporting the big pieces and getting them in the door, but they also deliver, too.

You can also do granite yourself and buy over the web, especially if the pices fit a standard size the vendor sells. One possible site is
http://www.doityourselfgranite.com/
Installing a single piece of granite should be very easy, level/shim the surface, a few dabs of silicone or adhesive and place the slab.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 8:49AM
logicalone

Granite should not be $4000. I just did my entire kitchen in Uba Tuba that was over twice the square footage (81 I think including backsplashes) for $3400 installed.

Not sure where you are but every decent size city I've been in has a dozen shops who do granite at $40-50 per sq ft complete.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 8:59AM
iinsic

You may want to look into granite tiles as well. They can be found, in many cases, for under $12/sq ft. If you have a very small grout line, they will have the same feel as a slab, especially in a basement bar area.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 1:28PM
dominogold

Thanks for the messages...

I have had some quotes for under $2000 now, one for $1500 one for $1900.

iinsic thanks for the great suggestion about granite tiles. That is really an outstanding idea. So what do I need to build that will support granite tiles? Basically I will have two heights on the bar, one standard cabinet height with just cabinets installed with no countertop (so you can see right into the cabinet), then I have a 2x6 wall constructed that is 40.5" tall for the bar height that people sit at... do I need to build some kind of support structure for the tiles?

I'll be thrilled if I can knock out a granite tile bartop for $500 ish.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 4:36PM
oldiron

Here's another thought: Ikea and Lumber Liquidators both sell maple butcher-block countertops for really cheap. It'd be an easy DIY project.

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 7:31PM
iinsic

I'm by no means a "tile guy". Go to JohnBridge.com and post your question and/or do the research. They will steer you in the right direction.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 12:59PM
ravlegend

I'm in the "how do they clean the stuff off between the grout" camp.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 4:23PM
dominogold

I found a great link...

DIY Granite Bar Tile Countertop

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 10:01AM
bearHit

Check out Quartz countertops - latest, greatest, and cheaper and more durable than granite.

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 1:54PM
halfbarnranchjake

Shibumi Trading company in Eugene, Oregon has granite counter tops for ~$300. Their business model is that they offer 1 size counter top with bullnose and 1 size island counter top with bullnose. The granite colors are not the most coveted, but the price may be right for you, depending on where you are in the country.

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 1:25PM
sofia

Dominogold

I just met a guy here in IL who supplies and install granite/marble and other natural stone.

I think if you fax him the measurment and design, he can give you a good quote.

He is giving me a regualr granite 36'' countertop for the powder room ( without the cabinets) for $300 ( with the bowl and installation).

Check his website
http://mbrstones.com/

Hope it helps.

Bookmark   June 11, 2006 at 2:21AM
More Discussions
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™