FL Security Deposit

beshelAugust 3, 2006

Hi, Anyone have any experience w/FL security deposit laws??(Link below) My prior LL followed the State rules and sent me a cert letter stating they were holding $65 of our SD for 2 quarter size stains in the carpet in our rental house - we had 15 days to dispute. We didn't dispute - it wasn't worth the $65 to us, we thought we would get the remainder of our $1000 back in 30 days - like our lease states. Well now 35 days after letter was dated and after many attempts to contact the property mgr, who only returned our call after we called her manager, she is telling us the stains won't come out, she is still trying w/carpet cleaner, but if we want we can settle up and pay to replace the whole carpet. (forfeit whole deposit plus whatever else I assume.) Based on how the law is written I would think she needed to notify us a long time ago that it was going to be more than the $65 quote in the estimate, how could we make an informed decision if the cost is not accurate. We moved from the house June 15th, they have had plenty of time to find out how much is was going to cost to repair/clean/whatever. (The house is also not rented yet.) Thanks for any advise!!

Here is a link that might be useful: FL Sec Deposit law - see section 3(a)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nfllifer

It says they have 15 days to notify you about any damages. Then from this date they have 30 days to return you deposit. I didn't find anything about what happens when they don't do this.

I'd talk to a lawyer and have them write managment a letter demanding you deposit be returned in full with the appropriate interest.

Lawyers seem to light a fire under many landlords behinds.

I started to read through all the leagle jargon but its quite complicated. In MN we pay 1% interest and need to return the deposit or send a letter within 21 days of vacating. If the deposit or letter isn't post dated by the 21st the tenant automaticly is entiled double the deposit no matter what condition it was left in!

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
Stinky perfumey air freshener neighbors
This seems to be the forum for neighbor problems -...
kashka_kat
Noisy neighbor - am I being oversensitive?
Live in a townhouse next to people with two small kids...
hblotus95
Quiet Hours???? HELP!
What exactly constitutes being quiet during quiet hours? This...
MaryCR
Found these bugs in my apartment , please identify
Found a bunch of these bugs in my apartment and am...
iamcorymorgan
Arranging the living room. Help needed.
Hi there, I am needing some help regarding the arrangement...
KarimT
Sponsored Products
Light Bronze Metallic Abstract Silver Circles Shade Anya Lamp
Lamps Plus
LumenAria Dakota Matte Black Two-Light Wall Sconce
$196.20 | Bellacor
Free Standing Cabinets Racks & Shelves: Edsal Garage Storage 2-Shelf Steel
Home Depot
Veranda Round Patio Table and Chairs Set Cover
Overstock.com
Four Dinner Napkins
$58.90 | Horchow
Full/Queen 590TC Flat Sheet - GRAY (FULL/QUEEN FLAT)
$390.00 | Horchow
Fire Magic 53930S Double Access Doors - 53930S
$489.60 | Hayneedle
Catnapper Champion Power Lift Lounger Recliner - 4826 1700-40
$719.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™