huge basement (49 x 24 x 9) with visible mold on concrete walls
Ive lived in my home for three and a half years now. My unfinished basement is used primarily for storage and laundry, so I dont spend alot of time down there. I recently decided to FINALLY make that huge Goodwill clothing donation Ive been putting off for years, so I had to venture deeper into the basement than usual to retrieve several storage bins full of clothes. In doing so, I noticed black "stuff" on the bottom 2feet of all four concrete walls down there. Ive never had any mold or allergy related health problems but with a baby on the way, I plan to have a mold remediation company come in and "professinally" clean the walls to get it off the walls.....but it was suggested that I also purchase a dehumidifier to KEEP it off the walls.
Ive been doing some online research on dehumidifiers but cant seem to find any specific suggestions for models that are best fit for my "type" of basement. For instance, my basement was a poured foundation, is always cold (even though there are no AC or heating vents down there), has 9foot ceilings and is approx 1200 sq feet. How does that translate into pints per day when trying to determine the "right" dehumidifier I might need?
Additionally, I wnet out and purchased a couple Temperature/Humidity thermometers (another suggestion I was given) and placed them in the basement. Even though spring has "officially" started, the temp is reading 55 degrees and the humidity is ranging between 36 and 39......what do these numbers mean and how should I use them to help me choose a dehumidifier?